Metagame Analysis

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Siphai

Metagame Analysis

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 11:39 AM</dd></dl><div> I still think that spinners might be abusing low traction a little bit. If we made it so that the ratio between the Weapon power of a spinner and its Traction determined how much it rotated while trying to drive in a straight line, that might help a little. [/quote]
That doesn't make sense for it though. I don't think theyre abusing it that much, it's just that the ricochet for a hit probably won't send anyone into the wall if they stay in the middle of the arena.

BEES

Metagame Analysis

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm

how about just speed/weapon/armor

seriouspost what's wrong with that?

that's paper/scissors/rock right there. All traction does is force you to spend more points if you want to be fast. That's easy for robots that don't have a weapon-based strategy, and impossible for robots that do.

NFX

Metagame Analysis

Post by NFX » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Because you then have to factor in pushing ability and how grippy the machine is somehow. Maybe the choice between pneumatic, foam or solid tyres might help somehow, and possibly to do with the number of wheels as well. For instance, pneumatic tyres could have high grip/controlability but low pushing power, solid wheels could be the reverse, and foam filled tyres could be in the middle. The more wheels you have, the more pushing power you have, at the cost of manouverability.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Siphai

Metagame Analysis

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 01:56 PM</dd></dl><div> Because you then have to factor in pushing ability and how grippy the machine is somehow. Maybe the choice between pneumatic, foam or solid tyres might help somehow, and possibly to do with the number of wheels as well. For instance, pneumatic tyres could have high grip/controlability but low pushing power, solid wheels could be the reverse, and foam filled tyres could be in the middle. The more wheels you have, the more pushing power you have, at the cost of manouverability. [/quote]
I suppose that might be a better system, making traction a more abstract thing that Must Be Described in your stats. I mean, Nick was right when he said that Everyone Needs Traction and that Everyone Is Going To Have Traction, so you might as well make it a separate category that doesn't require points, but has its own trade-offs and limitations. Number of wheels and type of wheels fall into that.

BEES

Metagame Analysis

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 01:56 PM</dd></dl><div> Because you then have to factor in pushing ability and how grippy the machine is somehow. [/quote]
Traction isn't something that relates easily to weight allotment. All the robots weigh the same and they'll put the same amount of force on their wheels regardless of how much the wheels weigh.

It's a retarded category please get rid of it.

Siphai

Metagame Analysis

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:23 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 03:20 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 01:56 PM</dd></dl><div> Because you then have to factor in pushing ability and how grippy the machine is somehow. [/quote]
Traction isn't something that relates easily to weight allotment. All the robots weigh the same and they'll put the same amount of force on their wheels regardless of how much the wheels weigh.

It's a retarded category please get rid of it. [/quote]
ill get rid of you nerd

NFX

Metagame Analysis

Post by NFX » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:33 pm

It's only called traction for the sake of simplicity. It was torque, which determined pushing ability alone, then it was turned into a more all-encompassing stat determining pushability and overall control. I think ti works well like this, but it seems to be developing into a bit of a problem when given numbers to play with.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Metagame Analysis

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Ugh... enough about the ARC stat system. This is the last bleedin' ARC tournament, so it's all moot. Start your own tourny and show us how it's done.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Siphai

Metagame Analysis

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 03:44 PM</dd></dl><div> Ugh... enough about the ARC stat system. This is the last bleedin' ARC tournament, so it's all moot. Start your own tourny and show us how it's done. [/quote]
Stop analyzing things in the analysis thread?

BEES

Metagame Analysis

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:10 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 03:44 PM</dd></dl><div> Ugh... enough about the ARC stat system. This is the last bleedin' ARC tournament, so it's all moot. Start your own tourny and show us how it's done. [/quote]
please... we know it's not the last

deep down we all sort of know it'll be back some day

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Metagame Analysis

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:15 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 03:53 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 03:44 PM</dd></dl><div> Ugh... enough about the ARC stat system.&nbsp; This is the last bleedin' ARC tournament, so it's all moot.&nbsp; Start your own tourny and show us how it's done. [/quote]
Stop analyzing things in the analysis thread? [/quote]
It's not analyzing anymore, it's just back to the same old complaining that was in the Discussion thread.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>please... we know it's not the last

deep down we all sort of know it'll be back some day [/quote]
Well we'll see. At the very least it will be a good while before any possible revival. One of the main points for ending it now is to give others a chance to run their own tournies for awhile.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

BEES

Metagame Analysis

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:17 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 03:23 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 03:20 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 01:56 PM</dd></dl><div> Because you then have to factor in pushing ability and how grippy the machine is somehow. [/quote]

It's a retarded category please get rid of it. [/quote]
ill get rid of you nerd [/quote]
sorry

back to the original thread topic: metagame

I think the I-beam robots (Probot/Force Feedback/Stingray) represent one of the more interesting fic contributions to the metagame, because it's a type of weapon that's not been tried in real life, but looks pretty solid on paper.

If I ever built a real robot, that's what it would be, definitely.

That would be the ultimate validation, if those started showing up at real tournaments, doing well.

NFX

Metagame Analysis

Post by NFX » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:39 pm

It does look like it might work, but it could end up forcing yourself back as much as your opponent.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

RoBattle

Siphai

Metagame Analysis

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 10 2011&#44; 04:39 PM</dd></dl><div> It does look like it might work, but it could end up forcing yourself back as much as your opponent. [/quote]
I like the idea more for a 'spinner killer' weapon than just an every-use weapon. It'd serve well for helping you escape when they're underneath you or have you in your grasp, but the greatest utility for the I-Beam is firing that kinetic energy straight into a disc without risking the rest of your robot.

It would serve as a nice 'wedge-warper' considering the angle of the I-Beam, though.

I do certainly love the concept of the I-Beam robot since it is so much more of a 'utility robot' in terms of having a weapon that can fill any number of roles.

BEES

Metagame Analysis

Post by BEES » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Could try putting some kind of weird curve on the end to make it flip opponents maybe?