ARC: Armageddon Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

NFX

Post by NFX » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Personally, I quite like the idea of an Active Weapon Bonus, but you could always try your stat system with your own tournament if you've got the time. =)
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

prince palatine

Post by prince palatine » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>Apr 21 2011&#44; 05:10 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Apr 21 2011&#44; 09:51 PM</dd></dl><div> So.. unless Alex or a another staff member starts up another one, its the end of an era. A great season all around.

@Chris, are we still doing the grudge matches etc etc, since its the end of the season and we have time for them [/quote]
Yes, I think we'll probably be getting around to grudge matches pretty soon, I think. Maybe even tag team terror (hey, I still like it). [/quote]
Thanks for that Chris, hopefully i can end the season (If it counts on the CFL record) with a few wins

Also, cany someone tell me what joey's message was, its too fucking long for me to even get the letters right

NFX

Post by NFX » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:46 pm

I do like the Tag Team idea, it should be a lot of fun. I still think we should divide the Power Rankings into a top half and bottom half, with teams being comprised of one machine from each half, just to keep it more even. =] Is it for all weight classes, the Tag Team thing?
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Apr 22 2011&#44; 10:08 AM</dd></dl><div>
Also, cany someone tell me what joey's message was, its too fucking long for me to even get the letters right [/quote]
It was basically "Kody said that I was cheated in the LW and I know everyone hates team FRA. ARC sucks because I didn't win".

I can't speak for any of the other writers, but I have no problem with Falling Down, but I thought that the rp for the finals was really long without saying anything and relied on strategies that didn't make sense given the two designs. In the chat, no one was saying "Ffuck Joey and FRA"

Dude, you got 2nd place&#33; I've been part of this since the beginning and I was eliminated in the first round. I've never seen someone be so sad over getting to the finals.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:28 pm

The only bot on Team FRA that I really hated was THE BLIMP (I remain mystified that it won any non-FF decisions at all) , and I made my feelings about it pretty clear from the get-go. I also talked to Joey directly about how I felt about Falling Down's interchangeable set-up, and while I didn't fully agree with it I never held him down because of it. I hated Falling Down in the usual manner of a bot that you lose repeatedly to, which of course has nothing to do with the owner of the bot.

I would be highly intrigued to know exactly what Kody said about the Finals chat to Joey. The only "personal" comments I can recall were those mentioning that Joey seemed paranoid about the staff, which now seem somewhat justified come to think of it.

I must say that I'm a little bit tired of whenever someone from FRA accuses ARC of being prejudiced or whatever against FRA members.
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I can tell, but there's feelings that had been building for a long time I'm afraid, even before ARC revealed itself for what it really is...meh.[/quote]
I mean what the hell is THAT supposed to mean? No seriously, help me out here.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>both robots are going to be on FRA veryish soonish - where we can truly settle things once and for all.[/quote]
Yeah I look forward to reading that result sometime in the next 5 years. (If the ARC community is going to be called jerkasses I want to deserve it). :v:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:37 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>And this ARC vs. FRA stuff is nonsense as well. If you are so determined to hate ARC, that's your business. [/quote]
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>It was basically "Kody said that I was cheated in the LW and I know everyone hates team FRA. ARC sucks because I didn't win".[/quote]
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>In the chat, no one was saying "Ffuck Joey and FRA"[/quote]
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I must say that I'm a little bit tired of whenever someone from FRA accuses ARC of being prejudiced or whatever against FRA members.[/quote]

Without directly jumping into the matter at hand, I dont like where this is going. Whatever you think of Joey's post, it had nothing to do with anything "FRA vs ARC" and I dont for one bit like that its slowly evolving into that. The bias Joey suggests is against Joey personally and if what Joey and Kody say is true I can only back them up, but my point at hand is that nobody is suggesting a bias towards the FRA or even TEAM FRA, so please treat this situation as such.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Yeah I look forward to reading that result sometime in the next 5 years. (If the ARC community is going to be called jerkasses I want to deserve it). emot-v.gif[/quote]

Now YOU are just flaming the whole FRA even though its 1 person you have issues with NWOWWE. As a member of both ARC and FRA who first and foremost is an FRA'er who does not share a dislike towards the ARC of the level of Joey, I DO feel offended and also find this uncalled for.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:57 pm

It was a joke...

In my defense Joey was blatantly calling the Finals result illegitimate, and further implying that an FRA showdown is automatically superior to an ARC showdown, without giving any real justification outside some mysterious comments Kody made which are in all likelihood untrue (or at the worst, blown completely out of proportion).

I've poked around FRA a few times and have seen snide comments here and there about the ARC community, so I think I can be permitted a jab at the occasional lack of punctuality around FRA results. I have nothing against the FRA community or the way they run things. It's not my style, but that certainly doesn't make it wrong.

Also, I don't have any personal issues with Joey outside of the disagreement about the use of bots in exhibition tournaments which I would and HAVE (in the case of fellow ARC'er Philip no less) call anyone out on, especially when they out-and-out REFUSE to give any real justification. I have talked to Joey several times on MSN before and he is a nice guy in general (maybe heavy on the technobable at times, but that's neither here nor there).
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Apr 22 2011&#44; 12:08 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>Apr 21 2011&#44; 05:10 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Apr 21 2011&#44; 09:51 PM</dd></dl><div> So.. unless Alex or a another staff member starts up another one, its the end of an era. A great season all around.

@Chris, are we still doing the grudge matches etc etc, since its the end of the season and we have time for them [/quote]
Yes, I think we'll probably be getting around to grudge matches pretty soon, I think. Maybe even tag team terror (hey, I still like it). [/quote]
Thanks for that Chris, hopefully i can end the season (If it counts on the CFL record) with a few wins

Also, cany someone tell me what joey's message was, its too fucking long for me to even get the letters right [/quote]
"Fuck off ARC Cunts"

Which, for some one who thinks that this is a sentence:

"So I don't lose control, I shall then push or carry with swiftness and aggression - but not ram or cause BlackRose to fall off, although it can't get any puchase as the spikes and barbs thereon will hopefully high centre the robot on the wedge, along with the tyre cutting blades - the robot over to the hammers for some pounding, and then once that is done go for a period of very fast and aggressive ramming and pushing while never letting it get any sort of control back, being careful to avoid both the sections of BR I deem undesirable to attack (the front and rear, although mainly the front), and the wedge walls/spikes/killsaws/hammers myself and to keep within my desired section of arena, and then when the opportunity next arises go in under the sides/front - if I have become detached, which is something I hope to avoid - and repeat the same tactic...except towards the end of the fight, when I intend to leave myself enough time to get underneath BlackRose and instead of the hammers, high centre it on my body and then carry it to the drum for a last, crowd pleasing and hopefully points scoring flip."

Is completely fair. :P

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:11 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Apr 22 2011&#44; 07:04 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Apr 22 2011&#44; 12:08 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>Apr 21 2011&#44; 05:10 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>prince palatine</dt><dd>Apr 21 2011&#44; 09:51 PM</dd></dl><div> So.. unless Alex or a another staff member starts up another one, its the end of an era. A great season all around.

"Fuck off ARC Cunts" [/quote]
And he thinks he's some kind of victim or is being singled out in all this? Ha Ha I say.

In truth he should be thankful that this wasn't really spotted before the result was decided. There are rules against jackassery in RP's towards your opponent and staff. He probably would have been disqualified outright.

It's hilarious that he would want to complain about any supposed vendetta against him when he's completely trashing the staff before the result is even decided&#33;

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:17 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>It was a joke...[/quote]
That's okay, as long as you do understand why I refer to such thing in a situation where people are on edge. I rather go after such things sooner than later.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>In my defense Joey was blatantly calling the Finals result illegitimate, and further implying that an FRA showdown is automatically superior to an ARC showdown, without giving any real justification outside some mysterious comments Kody made which are in all likelihood untrue (or at the worst, blown completely out of proportion).[/quote]
Well, Joey didnt refer to "an" ARC showdown but to this specific one, with an eye witness in the form of Kody as his justification. Calling these untrue or blown out of proportion is one thing, calling them "no real justification" is not really fair.

BEES

Post by BEES » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Just in case anyone here didn't know, Parasite's not a newcomer. It's been around since 2003. I just never entered it here. I've kinda... lost the record of what I entered it in, but we could dredge that up on FRA at some point.

Parasite and Influenza were my most successful bots over there, and fittingly they were the most successful ones here as well.

Welp, the finals pretty much turned out the way I expected.

gg everybody

Alex, I look forward to seeing what you have in mind.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:33 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>joeychevron</dt><dd>Apr 21 2011&#44; 04:41 PM</dd></dl><div> Philip: I feel as though I owe you an apology - I used to think you were probably the most against me out of all on these boards, but some things I've found out and that Kody's told me (not, I must stress, related to the final battle) have made me realise that of most of the 'inner circle', so to speak, you had the most integrity and stuck up for both me and Team FRA when you had no reason to, so...thing. Good luck to you in the future and hopefully our paths will cross again at some point.

Everyone else: Alex MW is going to say that 'that's just our Joey' in response to this, I can tell, but there's feelings that had been building for a long time I'm afraid, even before ARC revealed itself for what it really is...meh.
I invite you to take the capital letters of the first fifteen sentences of my tactics for the final - not counting any that come after an ellipsis - and drive that message into your skulls.

If anybody wishes to comment on this please feel free to email me or catch me on MSN, I'd be more than happy to talk when I get time but I do have a 1000 word report due in after the weekend so I won't be on the forums as much as usual.

Joey McConnell [/quote]
Re: sticking up for you and Team FRA... Maybe it's just me, but I think everyone else is much like me here: you'll get a fair shake until you give us reason to NOT give you one. You don't have to prove yourself first. And as far as the rest of Team FRA... I like Martijn, and have no opinion about Tracy one way or the other just because she posts almost absolutely nothing other than her RPs. You're the only "controversial" member of Team FRA. Honestly, we probably wouldn't get along if we had to be co-workers, but I treated you just like any other roboteer here. That ZED Leppelin/Vice fight that Dan was so pissed about because you won? Yeah, I wrote that. And I explained myself at great length about it, too.

Which is why I'm all the more disappointed at how you're behaving now, not JUST with you, but primarily. First and foremost, after all the crap we went through with the ZED Leppelin, we (especially I) vehemently made the point that problems should have brought to the forum, on the board and above board, and not any of this cloak-and-dagger shit. And what happens? Another private chat with only one member of the staff. I don't know what Kody and you actually said to each other, but if that is the conclusion you drew, than either you misunderstood what Kody said or Kody misunderstood what went on there. Your verbosity itself played no part in the decision, partially because Kody was just as bad and apparently I was even worse, but also because despite how much we hem and haw about the excessive length of the RPs, we still gave them a thorough review and critique. Hell, I printed up all the RPs and actually wrote comments in the margins. Your strategy was given a fair analysis. I don't know what made the difference for the others there who thought it should go to BlackRose. I personally felt you should have won the title.

Which actually brings me to the second reason I'm disappointed: even before we deliberated, your mind was made up. Your code in your RP is proof of that. You'd already made up your mind. And frankly, I don't know what else you reasonably expected us to do. We made concessions to you, Joey. We let you form an alliance in forming Team FRA, which was no problem, since it had been done in FRR with Steve and Dylan. We let you abuse the loopholes. Well why not? Loopholes are the mothers of great creativity. Really, it appears that you didn't want mere concessions, you wanted capitulation. You wanted us to let you play the game by FRA's rules and standards because you were more used to it and thought (think) it's inherently superior to ARC. You wanted to be awarded the Lightweight nut, regardless of our stats system and RPs, because of your lengthy bot description, because that's how it would have been done in FRA. Well guess what? An Englishman visiting the States still has to drive on the right side of the road even though they're used to the left and think it's the proper side to drive on. And as far as superiority goes, I believe a some of the ARC people here participated in your excursion, and beat you at your own game. And still you claim FRA superiority, even to the point of belittling ARC, the game and ARC, the community. I'm not blind; I could read it in your posts that you'd been harbo(u)ring negative feelings towards ARC. I'm just surprised and disappointed that you'd go as far and as classlessly in your contempt.

Conveniently enough, that brings me to the final reason I'm disappointed: in the script I went out of my way to show you that we ultimately had no problem with you. Even before I started writing the script, I probably had reason to do it. You'd insulted my efforts on the last script I'd written, essentially calling it pointless, and even hating it because I based it more on the Battlebots television format. You'd been acting all mopey everytime Drive was even referred to. In one form or another, you were part of the friction for most (not all) the headaches this season. And for all that, I tried to make you come off as both a good guy overall and as someone who is a welcome member of this community. What do you think the whole point of mentioning us taking you out to a pub was about? That setup about you being under 21 in the States? It certainly wasn't that. For everything that went on, I was trying to tell you that we were still cool with you.

In closing, I said I stood up for you before because I had no reason not to. I now have a reason. Josh says you're a cool guy, and I believe Josh. I don't hate you, Joey, but I am pretty upset and disappointed.

P.S. If you take the first letters from each of the first 15 sentences, I'm pretty sure they don't spell out anything, except maybe for some code that read backwards says, "Satan eats Cheez Wiz." Or not. I'm not sure.

BEES

Post by BEES » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:44 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Apr 18 2011&#44; 07:49 PM</dd></dl><div> after a session in which I cannot get the fucking texture correct (omg im a loser :( ), Joey has allowed me to render Falling Down in pure black

I'm sure you won't complain too much, JSG appeared white to me in its fight with B-AB. :P

also Nick I really do need Parasite [/quote]
you have it now

DRD

Post by DRD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 pm

If anyone should complain it's me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; I've had the worst season ever by far... One of my best robots goes 0-10... I don't even make it to the semifinals. Be thankful you at least made it to the finals you big baby.

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Joey, take a lesson from DRD. If you're going to be a poor sport, go out in a flaming ball of rage instead of beng self-righteous and passive aggressive. "Pfft, I didn't want to be in ARC anyway"Image

I don't think we have ever been unfair to FRA or any of its members.