ARC Showbots 2016 - Discussion

Drowning City's media and other contents announced, discussed, and bashed in here.
Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 am

next time just start one HDiT, I won't be offended :P . can a moderator move and/or delete his post from the signups please?

Thanks for catching that with scorpion's bot... as for multi-bots, I'm not convinced that they need a boost. go look up Libra from Ruination 3 - it did about as well as I think a cluster spinner ever will do if it is made in real life.
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Yo, Scorpion:

I've been working on a CAD for Catcher in the Rye, and it just doesn't look like the tiny wheels on the lifter are a good idea. The lifter has to be pretty long, extending past the front of the chassis, if you want the robot to not overbalance when lifting an opponent. If you put the extra wheels that far forward they'll get in the way of the clamp mechanism, but if you put them further back they'll have trouble actually touching the ground. It would be better to just put UHMW skids on the lifter.

When the lifter is all the way up, the combined CG of the robots can also be pretty much over the rear wheels, so you shouldn't have any traction problems.

However, I notice a potential design flaw: with an opponent raised up too far, if you give Catcher too much forward power, it could easily tip backwards. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem for a clampbot, but since your lifter doesn't work inverted you probably want to avoid it.

I would strongly suggest some sort of "tail" or rear outrigger to avoid toppling backwards. In fact, this would probably be a better place for a third pair of wheels than the lifter itself.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Robot up!
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Noisy
Team: Square Go Robotics

Post by Noisy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Removed my uncertainty and edited in my entry.

patrickrowberry

Post by patrickrowberry » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:16 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Jun 15 2016, 06:32 PM</dd></dl><div>Yo, Scorpion:

I've been working on a CAD for Catcher in the Rye, and it just doesn't look like the tiny wheels on the lifter are a good idea. The lifter has to be pretty long, extending past the front of the chassis, if you want the robot to not overbalance when lifting an opponent. If you put the extra wheels that far forward they'll get in the way of the clamp mechanism, but if you put them further back they'll have trouble actually touching the ground. It would be better to just put UHMW skids on the lifter.

When the lifter is all the way up, the combined CG of the robots can also be pretty much over the rear wheels, so you shouldn't have any traction problems.

However, I notice a potential design flaw: with an opponent raised up too far, if you give Catcher too much forward power, it could easily tip backwards. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem for a clampbot, but since your lifter doesn't work inverted you probably want to avoid it.

I would strongly suggest some sort of "tail" or rear outrigger to avoid toppling backwards. In fact, this would probably be a better place for a third pair of wheels than the lifter itself.[/quote]thanks for the comment

the lifter is very thin this and the wheels on it are 2 twice the thickness and at the corners of the lifter to give maximum effectiveness
but the lifter will be made of umhw with the skids in case the wheels don't work

" if you give Catcher too much forward power, it could easily tip backwards." ah the problem is i may go to slow for that to take effect as the wight of the robot will reduce my speed by 15% for clusters 25% for normal robots 40% for walkers this is all due to laws of momentum

when i rp i will say how high the lifter will go for that fight to reduce tipping in some fights i may want to tip to do a full supplex of a robot yes it means i may not be able to use the lifter but it can still be a effective robot with out it

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:37 am

Mole55, can you specify the number of wheels underneath your robot, since it's unclear? also, a 3 foot long flipper is humongous for a middleweight
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Mole55

Post by Mole55 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:51 am

Two wheels. Also, yeah got distracted looking at something else, meant 30 cm(1 foot). Also, if someone could do a proper CAD, that would be brilliant.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:44 pm

On request of Gabe, I've deleted all the unneeded posts on the sign-ups page.

Use this thread to discuss the tournament. It's not called a "Discussion" thread for nothing. :P
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Cha0sFerret

Post by Cha0sFerret » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:27 pm

I did an enter.
poopity scoop

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:26 pm

I made a CAD for Catcher in the Rye:

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:59 pm

that's a really nice CAD

Announcement&#33; This will start no later than August 31, so hopefully FRR: Backlash ends before then. I think it will? IDK I haven't actually looked into how long Backlash will take :v: . but yeah, that is the latest possible start point for this thing.

I dont even know if this announcement was necessary :v:
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

NFX

Post by NFX » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Pretty neat cad. Looks like Big Nipper a little bit, but I don't get what the thing on the bottom is for.

Also this tournament is now bull. =D
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:13 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Jul 6 2016, 07:48 PM</dd></dl><div>Pretty neat cad. Looks like Big Nipper a little bit, but I don't get what the thing on the bottom is for.

Also this tournament is now bull. =D[/quote]This is Scorpion's bot not mine, but the thing on the bottom is his lifter. The claws are fixed to the chassis, and the lifter arm moves downward lifting the entire bot into the air.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:55 pm

stahp double posting on my signups :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

in all seriousness, it's quite a clever design. in the past, I think that flame weapons were limited to 3 points. but there's nothing specifying that in the rules and I did not touch on it, so I kinda don't want to force you to change that (assuming that you were using the multiple weapons rule for your dome's lifter & the flamethrower). this is why we need the rules to be re-written :v: .

so yeah, someone delete his double post plz, and uh, I guess the flamethrower is OK since I didn't think of it :v:

I like scorpion's bot. cool cross of Big Nipper and Polar Vortex
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Quick tip: if your dome is titanium you really don't need to make the inside out of polycarb. Titanium is pretty much the most heat-resistant material you'll find in a combat robotics arena.