Battlebots

Speak freely but don't be stupid about it or you'll find yourself on the last train to Clarksville, ya dumbass.
Badnik96

Battlebots

Post by Badnik96 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:31 pm

Bombshell/Cobalt has the potential to be a massive upset. I've seen what Mike's packing to fight high-power spinners such as Cobalt, and if it works it'll be amazing.

Chomp being seeded as high as 13th is a travesty. It's like they're not even hiding the massive boner they have for it. If Shrederator were 13th and Chomp were 20th that would make a bit more sense.

I feel like Escape Velocity should be seeded higher than the robot that won by breaking down, but i guess they have to give Tombstone some easy prey first to play up the ratings. Then again it didn't look like Chrome Fly was too well-built either but I guess they don't want spinner v spinner in round 1.

Nightmare getting a wildcard only to be thrown to Icewave is such a fucking joke. Might as well have just not given it a wildcard. I know they wanted to make amends from last season where it totally deserved one, but this is not the way to do it. At least the OHKO will look nice on TV. SawBlaze would have put up a fantastic fight against Icewave, I'm sure.
Last edited by Badnik96 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Siphai

Battlebots

Post by Siphai » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:56 am

They should've put Nightmare against Warhead and hyped it as a grudge match.

Mystic2000
Team: Myst Inc

Battlebots

Post by Mystic2000 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:10 pm

it really seem they don't want Nightware to fare well, not like it actually would if it weren't for that... but you pit this thing against the two bot types that are the worst matchups for him... it really feels like you want it to die instantly

BEES

Battlebots

Post by BEES » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:31 pm

I wouldn't 100% count out Nightmare against IceWave. It is a better robot than the one that lost to SoW in season 3.0, and I could see exchanges where it gets that hit it needs. But it is uphill.
Last edited by BEES on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Battlebots

Post by GF93 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Jul 3 2016, 10:56 AM</dd></dl><div>They should've put Nightmare against Warhead and hyped it as a grudge match. [/quote]This.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

systematic1

Battlebots

Post by systematic1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Yeah these judges decisions are baffling this season. I don't think I have agreed with any besides the obvious ones. If your primary weapon breaks they might as well just end the match on the spot and declare you the loser.

MY YEARLY RANDOM THOUGHTS-

-Season 2 is still great. Everyone is ripping on the show for "4 fights in 1 hour".... well at least the other segments are quality. We get background on the development and design of the robot, not Professor Electra rolling around on a teacher's desk in a mini skirt. I can deal with it.

-SawBlaze losing to Razorback makes NO sense at all. This fight is uploaded on Battlebots.com as of yesterday, so go watch it if you haven't seen it. Razorback is not a good design at all. These "swiss army bots" are all bad, 4 interchangeable weapons and they all suck. See Bombshell also.

-Chomp is straight trash and I don't see why ABC loves it so much. It can't be the girl builder, there's other excellent women builders on the show. I love how Rose and Florian said it was the strongest hammer in the competition. Uh, what? It landed two shots that didn't even leave a mark. It also tips over at the slightest breeze. The 13th seed is insanity.

-I'm okay with Yeti beating LockJaw, that fight could have gone either way. Endless damage vs great driving. Old BattleBots, LockJaw wins, but the reboot obviously favors damage.

-I love the number of hammerbots in this season, but I think they all suck. Yes, even Beta was MUCH weaker than the 14 years of hype had me expecting. Seriously- Deadblow, The Judge and No Apologies were the hammerbots I loved, and they would routinely punch holes in armor. None of these hammerbots leave a dent. Blacksmith looks cool though. If your weapon sucks, light it on fire&#33; See Mohawk also.

-I'm so happy Son of Whyachi is back. I hope it wins the whole thing.

-Last season there were a few robots who didn't get to compete. I think they were extras. This season appears to have extras too (Ambush, The Dentist, HellaChopper, Preying Mantis, and Road Rash). Before HyperShock vs UltraViolent, they mentioned that even though UltraViolent lost its qualifying rumble, he was a last minute replacement for a team that couldn't compete. Upon doing research, HellaChopper was the one replaced. Not due to problems, due to the fact is was apparently too powerful for the BattleBox to contain it...

-(Did some quick research): Ambush had electrical problems, overvolted ESC. The Dentist had "last minute technical difficulties". HellaChopper was disqualified due to the BattleBox not being able contain one of the titanium hammers had they come loose (too powerful overall apparently?). Preying Mantis either had trouble working 100% or was disqualified - perhaps disqualified for not working/moving well enough. Road Rash passed safety inspections but dropped out due to unknown reasons.

-Both Wrecks and UltraViolent cannot move for shit. Like I'm not even certain if UltraViolent's wheels spin, or if they're just light up decorations. I imagine it was a traction issue but they clearly fixed nothing between their qualifying rumble and their actual match with HyperShock. Wrecks is a joke. It sucks those other robots had problems and HellaChopper was deemed too dangerous, I imagine these two would have been the first to get bumped.

-Wild card selection was once again mediocre. Nightmare, Ghost Raptor, and Bombshell all got knocked out easily or didn't look impressive one bit in the qualifiers. I do agree with LockJaw, Lucky, Overhaul, and Blacksmith. Haven't seen the Mega Tento fight yet but I imagine that was a shitty wild card choice too.

-Wild Cards should have been, in order of most deserving: LockJaw, SawBlaze, Disc O'Inferno, Lucky, Blacksmith, Overhaul, OverDrive, and Lycan.

-Lastly ratings are down compared to last season. Granted, last season it was on Sunday night with that Celebrity Family Feud lead-in. If anyone gets any kind of info on how ABC is feeling towards a season 3 please let me know. Still several episodes left (8 left? I thought it was a 10 episode run for S2) so it might be too early to tell though.

BEES

Battlebots

Post by BEES » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:11 pm

If Beta's hammer seemed lethargic it's because they were not running at full power, for fear of knocking themselves over against an opponent that could easily take advantage of it. John Reid was keen to keep the time he spent on his back as minimal as possible against a flipper.

Expect the full power of the hammer to be used sort of like the full power of Minotaur--only to deliver a safe killing shot.

Lucky also cannibalized a significant percentage of its armor from other areas to make weight for the spring-loaded plates on top.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Battlebots

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:42 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>systematic1</dt><dd>Jul 5 2016, 03:28 PM</dd></dl><div> I love how Rose and Florian said it was the strongest hammer in the competition. Uh, what? It landed two shots that didn't even leave a mark. It also tips over at the slightest breeze. The 13th seed is insanity.

-Wild Cards should have been, in order of most deserving: LockJaw, SawBlaze, Disc O'Inferno, Lucky, Blacksmith, Overhaul, OverDrive, and Lycan.
[/quote]Chomp is, in theory, capable of landing the most powerful hammer blow of any of the hammers at the competition. it's no going to because of the top-heavy design (apparently they were planning on using magnets to counter this, but they didnt work for some reason). It's actually quite an interesting robot, and well engineered, if quite shitty in practice :v:

Totally agree with your wildcards, except for Lycan - I don't think that he would be able to qualify since he lost in the rumbles, not in the first "official" round
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

systematic1

Battlebots

Post by systematic1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:25 am

I would love to see them both striking at full power. Chomp had two beautiful shots lined up on Disc O'Inferno and the hits just did nothing. I figured that hammer HAD to be insanely powerful - maybe it was built around some system making the hammer incredibly strong, thus the weird height/top-heaviness to it. But nope, it didn't make a dent. The camera tracking system is definitely cool, but seeing as how neither the flames or hammer really do much, it's not as effective as it could be.

Lucky clearly looked like they sacrificed a lot of their regular armor for the stuff on top. I'm impressed with how effectively Beta flips back over too. But if a half power shot throws the robot off balance, I can't imagine what a full power whiff would do. I really want to see at least one full power shot connect this tournament. It faces Overhaul in the first round - that is literally the perfect bot for it. I can see playing it safe vs flippers and spinners, but against a clampbot, hammer away.

And yeah I doubt Lycan was actually eligible for a Wild Card, but it was the most impressive non-winner from the rumbles. I wish Lycan got to face HyperShock as HellaChopper's replacement instead of the wheels-as-decorations UltraViolent.

Edit: Also, I honestly think Razorback beating SawBlaze is the worst judges decision in all 7 televised seasons of BattleBots. I cannot fathom why SawBlaze didn't win 3-0. It makes no sense at all. Razorback did nothing whatsoever and got his ass kicked, but somehow won.
Last edited by systematic1 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BEES

Battlebots

Post by BEES » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:27 pm

I agree it is one of the worst decisions, if not THE worst. The ultimate irony is that they can't show a match like that on TV because the decision would probably be too confusing and upsetting for audiences.

Siphai

Battlebots

Post by Siphai » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:57 pm

Why on earth did Witch Doctor come out without the wedge.

Siphai

Battlebots

Post by Siphai » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:58 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Jul 7 2016, 07:57 PM</dd></dl><div>Why on earth did Witch Doctor come out without the wedge. [/quote]oh my god because of the weight distribution lmfao. NEVER use minibots.

Siphai

Battlebots

Post by Siphai » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:10 pm

This thread is obviously spoilers but I expect people on this forum to have watched this live anyway

Bronco vs. Chromefly was funny bejcause on a second look, it seems that the top armor wasn't secured properly? And so after a hit it would oscillate and bent into the blades. The blades also weren't secured. Lol.

Yeti vs. Lucky was probably the best match of the tournament so far. Really sucked that Lucky's flipper had trouble retracting. When I saw that happen the first time I knew Yeti would hit those supports and fuck it up. To be honest I don't think he had to do that though, I felt like the lifter on Yeti should've reliably gotten under Lucky anyway.

Minotaur vs. Blacksmith was pretty cool. Classic example of warping the wedge and rendering it completely unusable. Minotaur didn't impress me initially but that one hit on the corner warped the wedge and changed the match entirely. Really reminded me of Hypno Disc vs. Splinter.

Witch Doctor vs. Red Devil was really funny. Not much else needs to be said about it. I'd be lying if I thought Red Devil would win, cause the tracks are so exposed, but Witch Doctor also had a nice easy to grapple shape, and they can actually rotate themselves in weird ways to make them difficult to hit. Usually when you're up against a weird shape, you don't want the plow cause you want your disc to jut out more, but I think I would've advised they keep the wedge.

Siphai

Battlebots

Post by Siphai » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:14 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Jul 3 2016, 11:31 PM</dd></dl><div>I wouldn't 100% count out Nightmare against IceWave. It is a better robot than the one that lost to SoW in season 3.0, and I could see exchanges where it gets that hit it needs. But it is uphill.[/quote]On second thought, I think I kinda agree with this. I'm pretty sure Ice Wave's blade is pretty powerful but I don't think it's super impressed me in any of its fights. Razorback is kinda the exception but it took a lot of hits and almost all the damage happened after Razorback stopped really moving. Wouldn't shock me if it was a one hit fight and Icewave came out worse off.

Fish Of Doom

Battlebots

Post by Fish Of Doom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Minotaur vs. Blacksmith is probably one of my all time favorite fights. It told a great story, and over the course of three minutes, Blacksmith was systematically destroyed. That final box rush that make it explode is awesome.