Need help with a Dutch word.

Speak freely but don't be stupid about it or you'll find yourself on the last train to Clarksville, ya dumbass.
succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:42 pm

So, do we still have any members who salute the :holland: here? I need help with the spelling of a Dutch (I believe it's Dutch) word. I'm fairly certain it's Dutch because it's a word my mom used quite a bit and my matrilineal heritage is Dutch....Vriesland territory.

Anyway, the word is like our word "sonic", except it's spelled with a z, so it sounds like "zonic"... or "zahnick". And given the context that my mother always used the word, it means something like "whine," "complain," "throw a temper tantrum".... etc., but especially in a childish manner.

Can anyone help? I like this word, and I'm trying to introduce it to my friends and future in-laws.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:37 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Jul 28 2015, 10:42 PM</dd></dl><div>So, do we still have any members who salute the :holland: here?[/quote]
No, Dutch people don't really salute their flag :P. If you are looking for someone Dutch though, I'm your man&#33;

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Jul 28 2015, 10:42 PM</dd></dl><div>Vriesland territory.[/quote]
I think you might mean Friesland?

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Jul 28 2015, 10:42 PM</dd></dl><div>Anyway, the word is like our word "sonic", except it's spelled with a z, so it sounds like "zonic"... or "zahnick". And given the context that my mother always used the word, it means something like "whine," "complain," "throw a temper tantrum".... etc., but especially in a childish manner.[/quote]
I... am afraid I have no clue&#33; And I have been speaking Dutch for nearly 30 years by now. The most generic Dutch word for "to complain" is "zeuren", which very much starts with a z.

Gimme more to work with here and I will see if I can get to the bottom of it. Was the word a verb or a noun or something else? And what about inflection?

Wait wait wait, something just struck me. "Zaniken". That has to be it&#33; Not all that common but fits the description.

Ik zanik - I complain
Jij/je/u zanikt - You(singular) complain
Hij/zij/het zanikt - He/she/it complains
Wij zaniken - We compain
Jullie zaniken - You(plural) complain
Zij zaniken - They complain

And for the fans of the past tense...

Ik zanikte - I complained
Jij/je/u zanikte - You(singular) complained
Hij/zij/het zanikte - He/she/it complained
Wij zanikten - We compained
Jullie zanikten - You(plural) complained
Zij zanikten - They complained
Last edited by MadBull on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks MadBull. I thought it was spelled Friesland at first too, and then I saw it spelled with a V at one point.... not to mention "DeVries" is a fuckin' common surname back in my hometown.

And yeah, that has to be it. I figured that had to be closed to how it was spelled, just wasn't sure. I never studied Dutch, but I did study German. Problem is, German doesn't have that softer z sound in too many words, preferring the hard S sound. But yeah, my mother anglicized that word in our household, e.g. "Quit your zaniking already&#33;" I like that word because the way she used it indicated that the person doing it was being a rather big baby.

Thank again&#33;

MassimoV

Post by MassimoV » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:10 pm

lul

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:17 am

HAHAHA, nice