rip arc

Speak freely but don't be stupid about it or you'll find yourself on the last train to Clarksville, ya dumbass.
V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

rip arc

Post by V900 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:58 pm

2002 - 2012

u were 2 young

BEES

rip arc

Post by BEES » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 pm

:qq:

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

rip arc

Post by GF93 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Indeed. If only we could start something here again...
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

BEES

rip arc

Post by BEES » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Mini-tournament right here in this thread then.

Enter 1 fic robot. 100 kg

link a picture and pick from the three categories:

wheelpower
armor
weapon

You can put priority on any 2 of those.

I'll write a round-robin tournament as entrants come in and post results.

BEES

rip arc

Post by BEES » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Well, I tried.

It could be that it's been so long since we had televised robotic combat competitions to generate interest, the fan community has moved on with their lives.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

rip arc

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Sep 16 2012&#44; 10:14 PM</dd></dl><div> Well, I tried.

It could be that it's been so long since we had televised robotic combat competitions to generate interest, the fan community has moved on with their lives. [/quote]
This. I just don't have the interest in fanfic robots that I once had anymore, and I'd gather Chris, Josh, Philip, John, Dylan, Alex, etc. feel the same way.

I can start running mini-tournaments or even simple 1-on-1 fights but it won't be the same. =/
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

BEES

rip arc

Post by BEES » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:14 am

I'm only interested in so much as I really plan to build one of mine some day.

It may not be televised, but robotic combat is alive and better than ever right now, and one of the largest competitions is quite close to where I live. I have the time and the disposable income for it. Now my excuse is that I'm just a lazy bastard.

That Kode Guy

rip arc

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:14 pm

I had planned to start building my own UK antweight (fairyweight to you lot) a few years back, but inexpensive as that may be compared to even featherweights, I just don't have the time. Or the room. =/

BEES

rip arc

Post by BEES » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm not much interested in antweights. The physics at that scale become so different that it might as well be a different sport.

I think a simple lightweight is a good place to start.

Something like Skate but with the wheels set uneven. The right wheels would be closer to the center of rotation and forward by a few centimeters. This imbalance would allow the whole robot to move forwards while spinning without any sophisticated computer controls necessary.

A set of astroflights and battlepacks and I'm basically good to go.

That Kode Guy

rip arc

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Lightweight, eh? I've not set out technical stats for (the first version of) BlackRose but I reckon that would be buildable, easier than a robot with an active weapon anyway; it's only a brick rammer. :P

I always had the thought of building a heavyweight though since they seemed to be the most popular at the time. I'm not sure how I'd go about building a HW though. It'd take too much time, money, and effort. =/

RIP Wedginator. :(

succotash_54

rip arc

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Oct 12 2012&#44; 01:42 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Sep 16 2012&#44; 10:14 PM</dd></dl><div> Well, I tried.

It could be that it's been so long since we had televised robotic combat competitions to generate interest, the fan community has moved on with their lives. [/quote]
This. I just don't have the interest in fanfic robots that I once had anymore, and I'd gather Chris, Josh, Philip, John, Dylan, Alex, etc. feel the same way.

I can start running mini-tournaments or even simple 1-on-1 fights but it won't be the same. =/ [/quote]
I still have interest and love of the game. What I don't have however, is an internet connection at home, nor a workplace that affords me regular online time, like I did back in Michigan.

But as I said in the script for the last ARC Finals that I wrote for, life is going on. Currently, ACAMS and I are the only ones over 30, but within five years or so, most of the original founders of the ARC community will be too. I'm engaged with a wedding to plan, and immigration papers to look into filing. Plus, y'know, having to work. Free time is at a premium, and when I come home at night, vegging in front of the TV is about all I have the energy for. That, and talking on the phone with my fiance.

I'd love to come back once I could stabilize shit again, but I really have no idea when that will be.

komodo9

rip arc

Post by komodo9 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 am

Life marches on. Building this place sure was fun back in the day though, fond memories. A community I was proud to be a part of.

-komodo9
--anaconda9
---Joe

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

rip arc

Post by NWOWWE » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 am

To be honest I'd still be willing to run tournaments, it just seems that there isn't anything to keep activity up between them and it ends up being too much effort to wrangle enough people up.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

That Kode Guy

rip arc

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Oct 22 2012&#44; 10:00 AM</dd></dl><div> To be honest I'd still be willing to run tournaments, it just seems that there isn't anything to keep activity up between them and it ends up being too much effort to wrangle enough people up. [/quote]
Yeah I see what you mean. I may try and give a good effort just before/during the holidays, as I'm still busy over here right now.

Badnik96
Team: Team Ignition

rip arc

Post by Badnik96 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm still up for anything, I just finished a GTM mini tourney (sparkey actually won the middleweight division), so yeah.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ