A random question...

Speak freely but don't be stupid about it or you'll find yourself on the last train to Clarksville, ya dumbass.
Meganew

A random question...

Post by Meganew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:42 am

Who here enjoys sci-fi, and what series do you enjoy?

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

A random question...

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:04 pm

I think this is more appropriate in this section.

In answer to the question, I do enjoy Sci-Fi. In fact two of my favorite game series are sci-fi (Halo and Mass Effect). I'm also a fan of Star Wars, and the Predator movies and Alien movies.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Meganew

A random question...

Post by Meganew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Okay. I know you've probably guessed I have a reason for this, so here it is.

It's sort of a shattered universe idea, with all the universes getting a rift that leads to a new and unknown universe.

prince palatine

A random question...

Post by prince palatine » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Did you set that up Mark? looks good, im signing up :)

succotash_54

A random question...

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:46 am

I'm a Trekkie. Not quite a Starwoid, but I do enjoy watching the movies.

Meganew

A random question...

Post by Meganew » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:44 am

Why not sign up for it as a guy on the Trek ship?

succotash_54

A random question...

Post by succotash_54 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:07 am

I'm not hard-hardcore. I don't read or write fanfiction. I don't roleplay for Trek RP games. I don't even keep track of who directed all the movies or episodes. I can't name the proper title of that many episodes. I just really enjoy watching Star Trek. I've watch every episode of every series, including The Animated Series, and every movie. The farthest I really get is being able to name all the hosts of the Dax symbiont in order.

StarlessSoldier

A random question...

Post by StarlessSoldier » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:13 am

I enjoy SciFi but don't really consider myself any kind of hardcore fan. A little OT but I just got around to watching the Star Trek reboot and I have to ask this... Why the hell does every scifi writer think the pinnacle of weapons technology is something you have to be within arms reach to use? Sulu has a fucking Samurai sword? Really JJ Abrams? Really? I know everyone defends the light saber by saying that Jedis frown on using guns but how many have you seen use guns in the movies, animated series, and the books? Obviously they have no moral conflict with them, so why not at least have a side arm?

NWOWWE

A random question...

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 pm

As far as Star Wars goes, Jedi avoid using non-lightsaber weapons. In fact, in the original trilogy Luke uses a blaster very sparingly (if at all, I haven't watched them in a while so I forget) once he becomes a Jedi. We certainly never see Obi-Wan or Yoda use one in those movies. The prequels can be thrown out of this context since they were poorly written (among other things) and characters completely contridict their portrayls from the Original Trilogy. The cartoons and books don't matter as far as canon goes dispite what all those uber Star Wars nerds want to think.

And the Jedi were justified in using the Lightsabers for a couple reasons: 1) they had been around for a long time and it was their traditional weapon (much like a samurai warrior. 2) They were typically only used for lightsaber on lightsaber battles (in the Original Trilogy anyway, the Prequel trilogy completly over-used them since it was much easier to do the special effects for the lightsabers).

As far as the Star Trek sword issue, I can only imagine that it was a gimmick that JJ Abrams thought would make the character cooler/more badass.
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

StarlessSoldier

A random question...

Post by StarlessSoldier » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 am

It was Sulu, not a hardcore character to begin with but they used "Harold" as a replacement for George Takei... Come on.

NWOWWE

A random question...

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:28 pm

To be honest I haven't seen the movie for awhile and I forget the exact context in which the sword was used, but it's probably safe to assume it was one of JJ's attempts to re-create a character the way he wanted. In this case I'll agree that it is overly cliche, but at the same time I don't think it really detracted from the overall quality of the movie. As for the casting, I think it is safe to say that it was rather unconventional in general, but there were no really poor performances (then again I'm not much of a Star Trek fan at all so I really don't have pre-existing standards here).

succotash_54

A random question...

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:35 am

The fencing is a nod-and-wink to Trekkies. That goes back to a Season 1 episode, I believe it's called "The Naked Time", which shows characters under the siege of a virus that acts similarly to alcoholic intoxication. In that episode, we see Sulu with a fencing foil trying to start a duel in the corridor.

BEES

A random question...

Post by BEES » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Meganew</dt><dd>Aug 3 2010&#44; 11:42 AM</dd></dl><div> Who here enjoys sci-fi, and what series do you enjoy? [/quote]
Star Trek nerd right here. I've seen every episode of every series and I've gone to conventions.

I also kept up with Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, X-Files, Twilight Zone.

Doctor Who is the only thing still on. So I fill my endless craving for scifi with that and copious amounts of anime these days.

succotash_54

A random question...

Post by succotash_54 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:17 pm

I would go to conventions, but I can't afford it. There are never any in my area... the closest possibility would be Chicago, but I've never heard of one being there.

BEES

A random question...

Post by BEES » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:18 am

I can't remember Dax's host names if it makes you feel better. :)

But yeah Sulu's sword is a reference to the original series. Abrams took personality traits from all the characters and exaggerated them to make everything EXTREME.