Rollercoasters...of love!

Speak freely but don't be stupid about it or you'll find yourself on the last train to Clarksville, ya dumbass.
Area51Escapee

Post by Area51Escapee » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:49 am

I'm willing to bet most of us here have been on rollercoasters of some sort in our life. So it's always interesting to know, what kind of coasters do you like? Do you prefer steel or wooden coasters? Do you prefer loops? Faster coasters? Coasters with no floor? I personally enjoy them a lot not only due to the thrill of riding them but because of engineering concepts used in each one and what originality form from each coaster.

The reason I make this topic is because Josh and I just went to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ. This is where we got a chance to go on the world's tallest and fastest rollercoaster, Kingda Ka. The trip itself was nothing short of amazing and the rides there were awesome. We got to spend the whole day there and get a chance to do all the rides (some where closed, though).

There is a whole lengthy story about most of this trip which Josh intends to explain later but for now I'll just rank the rollercoasters I rode at Six Flags and explain why each one was good or not. This pretty much Josh's list, too, since we pretty much agreed exactly on how good each one was. Here we go:

1. Kingda Ka
Most Insane Rollercoaster

As I said, the world's tallest and fastest coaster so of course it's gonna be insane. However, the ultimate kick it is when dash from 0-128 mph in 3 seconds and then go almost straight up 450 foot slant at nearly 90 degree angle and then loop around, then fall right back down that huge loop and corkscrew on the way down. When you think about, it's a novelty ride but it's so frickin awesome.

2. El Toro
Most Terrifying Rollercoaster

The best wooden rollercoaster I've ever been on. It looked huge from the enormous line with a lot of big hills. When you go on it, you go fast up the first hill, and then plummet down and then quickly get thrown over another series of hills repeatedly so fast, it was so cool. And then there some more twists, turns and falls over the course of the ride. The thing that got me is everytime you go down one of the hills, it looks like you're gonna get decapitated by one of the wooden bars. Ouch.

3. Nitro
Most Twisted Rollercoaster

This coaster is evil. We witnessed someone vomiting on this ride. It would have been somewhat light had it not been for the initial HUGE drop and the questionable seat restraint, which felt like it was somewhat loose and it was just a styrafoam pad on your pad. That was it. Therefore, everytime we went down a huge fall, it put great amounts of pressure on the bar. If that bar would have snapped loose, I would be dead, so it had the uncomfortable factor. Then at the end of the right, it stops abruptly giving you a nice punch in the gut. I love it.

4. The Great American Scream Machine
Most Forgotten Rollercoaster

Probably the most underrated rollercoaster. It was really nice considering that it's fairly lengthly and it does some a lot of loops. There's nothing special to it, persay, more or less just a nice ride that for some reason has the shortest line in the world.

5. The Batman Ride
Most Adequate Rollercoaster

This ride is very "adequate" for getting things moving. It's got at least two rides moving and 4 seats per row. They don't waste anytime getting people through. As for the actual ride, it was very reminiscant of The Great Bear from Hershey Park. It's got a floorless surface and it takes you through some nice loops and turns.

6. Medusa
Most Generic Rollercoaster

Very similiar to Batman except it's even more basic. You go for a couple of nice loops and it's fun but there's nothing to it. It's hard to even give it a characteristic of it's own. The only thing lacking with this ride is creativity.

7. Rolling Thunder
Most Lengthy Rollercoaster

A wooden coaster that was lengthy and has some nice drops and turns. It was pretty bumpy, too. Overall, it was fun but I'm not sure it was worth the hour or so wait.

8. Skull Mountain
Most Disappointing Rollercoaster

It was definitely mysterious at first because it was indoor and we had no prior knowledge of what the actual coaster was like. It's theme was that it was a rollercoaster in the dark, which sounded cool and a popular idea from Disney's Space Mountain. It had an eerie and cool atmosphere in the waiting line, but when we got in, there was nothing to it. It was pretty much just a kiddie equivilent coaster that happened to be in the dark. Even though it was in the dark, it was still light enough that we could see all the tracks, so even that factor was disappointing. Basically, if you like the "light coasters", this is the one for you. Otherwise, you're gonna hate it.

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:24 pm

I haven't been on too many coasters, but the scariest one was that ungodly tall one I went on with Steve at Dorney. Holy jesus, I felt like I was going to die.

There's this cool one at Six Flags in Denver that you stand in to start and then it tilts forward so that you're basically laying down on your stomach. It's all kinds of awesome though, since you upside down and stuff, it's like you're flying.

And California Screamin' at Disneyland California is still an awesome ass roller coaster.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:24 pm

I went to a couple at Michigan's Adventure. The one that was meant for kids, we were on to test the physics of it. no kidding. This was a bona fide field trip. Anyways, the ride broke down with us on it. Just got stuck on the tracks. We just didn't create enough force to keep it going.

My favorites are Space Mountain, the Song Of The South water ride, and the railroad one, all at Walt Disney World.

Yeah, I haven't been on too many roller coasters.

Ernie

Post by Ernie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:38 pm

I live like 15 minutes away from Six Flags, so every year I get a season pass and go with some buddies of mine. Pretty much been on every ride except for the Colossus (Big ass ferris wheel that's never working), some insane one that's new this year, and that slingshot thing where you have to pay 30 bucks and sign a contract saying that it's not their fault if you die. Fuck that shit.

Anyway, my favorite would have to be the Superman: Ride of Steel. My first time, my friends forced me to go on it. I was pretty scared, and the fact that a few years ago, a guy flew off one of the cart on a turn, 40 feet high, doing a bunch of flips and twists in the air before hitting a fence. He died, obviously.

My friends next to me were telling me how I was going to die, making me even more scared. A 45-something year old man behind us noticed me and asked "What's the matter, man? ...You gonna scream like a beeeeotch?" We all laughed as it was out of nowhere. It kinda put me at ease, but once we got to the top...

Yep, screamed like a bitch. Hey, that's a 221 foot drop at 77 MPH. At the end of the ride, the man said "Man...you really DID scream like a bitch." Haha, good times. Oh, and the ride is even more awesome at night, because when you look to the left, you don't see the water, the woods, nothing. Just darkness. It feels like you're in space or something.

panicattacky2k

Post by panicattacky2k » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:24 pm

Good lord, you went on ALL of those in one day?
I sure hope neither of you had a big breakfast. Or any breakfast. Or anything to eat beforehand.
But for doing all those, I declare you a baraver man than I. I can't ride one rollercoaster without getting freaked out, let alone 8 of them.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 pm

We also did a few of them twice (Kingda-Ka, Scream Machine, and Nitro).
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:46 pm

So who started feeling nauseous first?

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:47 pm

I dunno... but I do know that my neck felt sore after the first ride on Kingda-Ka.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Area51Escapee

Post by Area51Escapee » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:31 am

Yeah, Kingda Ka likes to violate you after that loop.

Storm Runner (abrupt takeoff) and The Wildcat (very ROUGH ride) are my two favorite from Herskey Park.

I didn't go on any rollercoasters at Disneyworld or Universal, though.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:34 pm

Whiplash = teh awesome