VooDoo 3

Post any technical advice and/or bot building related topics on here.
StarlessSoldier

VooDoo 3

Post by StarlessSoldier » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Subject to change but the name is tentatively VooDoo 3 (due to the fact that the only ants I fully completed were called VooDoo and VooDoo 2).

So far I've run into alot of problems with the electronics... Micro reciever problems and FYI don't apply power to your ESC while it is laying on your METAL baseplate... damnit. So I've ordered a set of single conversion crystals which I hope will absolve the reciever issue and a new ESC.

Minus the recent issues with the electronics everything has been going well. Before the ESC failure (and after since I only seem to have blown only one direction on one channel) I had a working bench test using an 8 channel reviever. The design thus far will be a fast pusher with a lifting wedge and/or plow.

Drivetrain: Two Battlebots custom series gearboxes w/ motors hacked from a custom series toy (a little primitive and heavy by today's standards, but undeniably reliable and tough). Special thanks to Chris Schramm for providing the toys.

Weapon: Lifting apparatus (not yet built) using a Hi-Tec ball bearing servo for power. Will be either a wedge or a plow, possibly even an interchangeable set-up for both.

Electronics: Yeah... about that.

Armor/Structural: Right now the plan is using old Hummvee data plates I stole from work (thick yet extremely light aluminum) but if it turns out too heavy I'll order some carbon fiber.

So yeah, I'll post some pics later, but for now that's that.

Fish Of Doom

VooDoo 3

Post by Fish Of Doom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Yeah! Someone's still using battlebots gearboxes!

Area51Escapee

VooDoo 3

Post by Area51Escapee » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Yeah, the custom series are still the shizzle. I still have a spare in case I get around to making an ant for ARCCon this year. An outside chance but still possible.

Keep me up-to-date on the progress, John. Sounds great so far except for a few problems along the way. It's inevitable, I suppose.

StarlessSoldier

VooDoo 3

Post by StarlessSoldier » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm

OK, change of plans. Got my new Sabertooth ESC, and the crystals. The sabertooth seems to be having horrible calibration problems where one motor runs at a much higher speed than the other. To top it off the crystals don't make my micro reciever work. As for the crystals, I got a single conversion *SET* Is it possible (due to my non-existent micro reciever experience) that I only needed a single conversion reciever crystal, and the TX had to remain dual but on the same channel?

Either way that one is on hold right now, and I'm making a spinner in the mean time. It's using hacked servos for drive (fuck you all) and modified lite flites (see, superglued to servo horn). I also have an outrunner brushless and pheonix 25 ESC for the weapon. Bench test is a total success and now I just need to build a chassis and weapon. I might order a 3 cell battery to up the power (all my current ones are 2 cell).

As usual, pics will follow eventually, as well as pics from the currently shelved lifter.

Minion33088

VooDoo 3

Post by Minion33088 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:20 am

Brushless Pheonix for the weapon but servos for drive. lmao, that's gansta! are you hacking them to increase the speed?