Aquatic Robotics Garage

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
NoiseyGiraffe

Aquatic Robotics Garage

Post by NoiseyGiraffe » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:57 pm

i really like Splashdown and I'm interested to see how it does in ROBOT2. I used a similar hinge system in LowRider but that is a rammer. Also +1 for Sketchfab, more people should use it.

attackfrog

Re: Aquatic Robotics Garage

Post by attackfrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Looks like I haven't made a robot since July... sounds about right. Here's a new one!

The Gnasher

The Gnasher by attackfrog on Sketchfab

An eggbeater-style vertical spinner, as you can see, and the latest in my "The XXX" series. The beater is mounted in a hinged bracket, similar to Lockjaw's vertical spinner. This lets it be perfectly invertible.
What weight class is it? Something heavy, but I'm not entirely sure yet. The stats are going to focus on aggression: this is a hungry robot.
Aquatic Robotics
ROBOT3 - The Terrible Toad Twins (FW) / Admiral (LW) / Whirlpool (MW) / Sideswipe (HW) || (Entry Post)
REDDIT - The Angry Urchin (HW) || (Entry Post)

Frogbot 2000: ROBOT2 Middleweight Champion!
Speed Bison: Ruination IV Superheavyweight 2nd Place

[attackfrog on Sketchfab] | attackfrog on Tinkercad | [Index of Visual Guides]

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:11 am

<3

Lovin' that tire design.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Since I've submitted my whole team to CBC3, I'll record it here too for posterity.

I think I've got some interesting robots this time (maybe not so much with Cruelty :V ). They're unlikely to be champions (unless Cruelty can do what Speed Bison could not) but they should be fun to RP for if nothing else.

The Gnasher is my attempt at a Yeti-style VS. Dunno if such a thing is possible in ARC but we'll find out! I should have done some anti-undercutter stuff for it, probably, but I doubt that's what's going to kill it with so many other more powerful VS robots in the field.

Psychosis took a stupidly long time to invent, model, and render and I have no doubt that all my hard efforts are not going to pay off at all. This thing is a bit exploitative with the weapon armor bonus but overall it's still a jack of all trades, master of none and that's not really a winning strategy, as much as I'd like it to be. But as long as I get to karate chop someone with a giant plow spinning at 3K RPM or whatever it's all good.

Cruelty is a bit of a try-hard bot, I'll admit. I wanted to reuse the drive pods from Obsession on a bot that wasn't so wacky and to give the Whoops! ram plate a shot in ARC, and I wasn't done with the lifting plow idea from Speed Bison either. Take all that, spice it up with a couple more plow designs, put it in a robot, and you've got this thing. It'll probably do all right.

LW: The Gnasher
[Sketchfab Render] [TinkerCAD Model]
-
gnasher-main.jpg
gnasher-main.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 127 times
3D Preview
Show
The Gnasher is a wiiide 4WD eggbeater robot. Its weapon is mounted on two hinged fork-arms on either side of it. It is the latest of my "demonic robots with teeth" series, which I have yet to figure out how to really decorate properly. Oh well. At least it's got some cool rims: check out the Sketchfab render to see them.

Stats: 6 Speed / 5 Traction / 1 Torque / 11 Weapon / 8 Armor (+1 to the green wheel shields)

MW: Psychosis
-
psychosis-main.jpg
psychosis-main.jpg (111.36 KiB) Viewed 127 times
3D Preview
Show
Psychosis is a robot so insane it's said that to just look upon it is to go mad! Upon its 4WD chassis is mounted a lifting arm with a spinning weapon on the end. It can be used either as a plow or, when raised high enough to clear the ground, as an overhead spinner. On either side is a small hinged wedge.

Stats: 6 Speed / 5 Traction / 1 Torque / 14 Weapon (12 spinner / 2 lifter) / 5 Armor 4 Armor

SHW: Cruelty
-
cruelty-main.jpg
cruelty-main.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 127 times
cruelty-configs.jpg
cruelty-configs.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 127 times
3D Preview
Show
Cruelty is kind of a spiritual successor of my last heavyweight, Speed Bison. It too is a somewhat unconventional lifting plow: the front drive pods are hinged and move up and down when linear actuators in the rear drive pods extend and retract. Some high-resistance springs help cushion the system. Like The Gnasher, it's also very wiiiide.
Cruelty has three configurations (though I only rendered one in Sketchfab): A Duck-style ram, a rack of forks, and a big & tall plow.

Stats: 8 Speed / 7 Traction / 4 Torque / 1 Weapon / 10 Armor (+2 ram/forks/plow)
Last edited by attackfrog on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Turns out Psychosis had 31 stat points. I told you it was crazy!
Aquatic Robotics
ROBOT3 - The Terrible Toad Twins (FW) / Admiral (LW) / Whirlpool (MW) / Sideswipe (HW) || (Entry Post)

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 pm

I just remembered I never posted this outside of Discord! I'd been feeling The Angry Urchin needed a proper remake, so here it is: The Angrier Urchin.

The Angrier Urchin by attackfrog on Sketchfab

I abandoned the inchworm walking system for a "much more sensible" offset 6WD, and added a lot of spikes to live up to the urchin theme. Dunno what I'm going to enter it in but I'll guarantee you it'll have more than 1 speed this time. Whether or not it'll get a silly propeller hat is TBD :V
Aquatic Robotics

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:24 pm

I came up with another bad idea.

Hellmouth

Hellmouth by attackfrog on Sketchfab

I'm gonna put the idea of "flamethrowers don't do any damage" to the test. I've put a giant burner in the front of the robot with some fins on the inside to make the high-pressure gas come out in a semi-controlled vortex. Who knows what it would actually do IRL but the basic idea is to put out the maximum amount of flaming allowed by the rules for the duration of the match and hope that melts whatever's in front of it.

The wedge spikes are removable, and the hoops of shame hammer blocker rings on top should let Hellmouth self-right either through torque or by bumping into the wall.
Aquatic Robotics

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Another fun/weird/probably mediocre robot for y'all!

Sideswipe

https://skfb.ly/6KHuO
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/a3kYIQAMNcv
main-sketchfab.png
main-sketchfab.png (541.09 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Sideswipe by attackfrog on Sketchfab

It's a hydraulic turret lifter with a hinged plow on the front. It'll have stats at some point probably.
Aquatic Robotics