Ice Cubed Robotics

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:31 am

No idea if this the correct place for them or not, but considering that I've been on a few new designs as of late, I figured I'd create a ICR thread to showcase them all in, and discuss potential ideas and things for robots. (Special thanks to NFX for rendering them in 3D)

First up-
Marauder, a tank-like and predominantly anti-spinner design for the Middleweight category, with a focus on thick armour, great power, traction and reliability from its armoured caterpillar track system, and good weaponry for its purpose.
It's armed with a powerful Reinforced Lifting Wedge electrically-driven by Linear Actuators on both sides, allowing it to function unhindered either way up, as well as a pair of tungsten-tipped Ramming Spikes at the rear.

On a side note, its track-based design allows it to run unhindered when inverted, climb up steep inclines and over opponents when its wedge is raised, and even lift its own front end off the ground with its weapon- no idea how I'll use it, but probably as a victory pose.
And what more can I say? Marauder!
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

MadBull

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by MadBull » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 am

good rambot GF, but Im gonna have a nitpick anyway so that it can become even better ;)

the problem I see is with the rear being slightly higher than the front, the rear spikes seem to be pointing upwards a little bit, rather than parallel to the ground. That makes the spikes a lot less effective, similar to how spikes are less effective against wedges

you could chose to make the body flatter, to let the top run parallel to the ground, you could also leave the top as is and bend the spikes such that at least in ONE position, the spikes run parallel (and when upside down, they point upwards even more)

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 am

The position of the spikes is intentional- they are angled so that they're equal on both sides. They prevent the robot from rolling over when driving up other robots or other such steep inclines, as well as to help protect the tracks at the rear from attackers.
It's also quite flat when compared side-to-side with other robots- that makes it less of a target for horizontal spinners and the like.

Other than that though, I'm glad you like it- if a MW tournament or bracket does roll around soon, I'll take her for a spin then.

EDIT: Also, got the "Ice Cubed Robotics" logo for an avatar, now. Do tell me what you think!
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

MadBull

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by MadBull » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 am

those spikes have the qualities you say they have, but if you make them run parallel to the ground (when right-side-up), they will STILL have those qualities, AND they will have the quality of actual damaging spikes

NFX

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by NFX » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 pm

On the subject of the spikes pointing upwards, they'll still be travelling horizontally when they hit the opponent, even they are angled upwards a miniscule amount. As long as the point isn't above the top edge of the base, it'll still act like a normal spike.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by NWOWWE » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>MadBull</dt><dd>Feb 6 2012&#44; 11:55 AM</dd></dl><div> those spikes have the qualities you say they have, but if you make them run parallel to the ground (when right-side-up), they will STILL have those qualities, AND they will have the quality of actual damaging spikes [/quote]
To be fair static ramming spikes have never really been a practical weapon in ARC. So sure changing things around to make more "effective" would seem like a good idea, in practice it really won't make much difference in an actual match.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 pm

It depends on the robot's stats really. If the speed is 7 or above, it would be nice if they rammed something, sure. 6 or below, don't bother, the opponent's armour would likely be higher nowadays... <_<
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Even still, they were more of an afterthought for additional protection around the back- the torque and the Flipping Plate will be doing most of the work, anyway ^^
ICE³ ROBOTICS

Badnik96

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 am

Looks cool. Will be interesting to see in combat.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Feb 7 2012&#44; 12:02 AM</dd></dl><div> Looks cool. Will be interesting to see in combat. [/quote]
Hopefully it'll allow me to bulldoze a couple of the ARCers into submission ^^

Also, this is probably irrelevant, but I also chose some theme music-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psbjc2zs ... re=related
From what I named it after- one of my old Commodore 64 games.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

That Kode Guy

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:34 pm

It actually reminds me of Alex MW's scrapped version of Eurypterus 1.2. Just...much better.

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:26 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Feb 7 2012&#44; 12:34 PM</dd></dl><div> It actually reminds me of Alex MW's scrapped version of Eurypterus 1.2. Just...much better. [/quote]
It does? Do you have a picture of it?
ICE³ ROBOTICS

That Kode Guy

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:51 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Feb 7 2012&#44; 02:26 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Feb 7 2012&#44; 12:34 PM</dd></dl><div> It actually reminds me of Alex MW's scrapped version of Eurypterus 1.2. Just...much better. [/quote]
It does? Do you have a picture of it?[/quote]

From the "Evolution of Design" thread.

NFX

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by NFX » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Reminds me of Dark Track from the third season of Robotica. I was flicking through some YT vids when I found one with it, and I thought "That's what GF93 wants me to CAD&#33;" Very similar, but this one's better. Because I CADed it. =D
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm

@Kodebreaker- The skin's alright, but it looks a bit unbalanced, the weapons don't seem to be doing much, and the tracks seem a bit wonky and unprotected for my liking.

@NFX- Well spotted&#33; Dark Track was one of my more major design influences in the project, along with Suicidal Tendencies, RoboDoc and Mortis. To tell the truth, it's those four who have got me interested in designing some tracked robots for ARC :cool:
ICE³ ROBOTICS