Joey's CAD 'showcase'

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
joeychevron

Joey's CAD 'showcase'

Post by joeychevron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:31 am

I tend not to do many drawings of my robots - I am quite good at visualising them mentally and my artistic skills plumb new depths of ineptness, so generally I let people who are far better with 3D CAD packages and graphic design draw my robots for me such as Martijn or Andy or Kody.
When I started out I did do a few Paint designs though, way back in early 2008 - as you can see my style's not changed too much ;P

The first Gabriel to compete in a tournament, with forward hinge flipper and spikes - astute viewers will notice the design has barely changed ;P

Fire And Ice, a tracked ramming robot concept I had that actually finished as the runner up in a (hypothetical) tournament. It recieved a redesign which imo didn't actually improve much and then sort of petered out.

Isolation, a strange vertical spinner/flipper concept. I knocked this together in ten minutes to demonstrate to Kody how I wanted a CAD of the robot to look, so there are a few mistakes (like the teeth being the wrong way around)

Once I discovered the joys of getting others to CAD for me my Paint skills saw little use though - I've only really drawn two robots recently worthy of showcase...

Nick called this the most detailed Paint pic he had ever seen, I preferred to think of it as the product of a sad and bored mind really ;P The story behind Thiwon has been explained elsewhere - it was an entry into an art contest where a robot had to be drawn from the supplied outline - and I went a bit overkill on the detail to try and educate myself further about robot wiring and function. I do still think that if you tried to build this in real life from the picture it would all more or less work (although obviously you need to put the link in, heh)

Image Image
Falling Down! I think you will be familiar with this already if you're in the current ARS tournament, this is actually a design I've had around in some form since 2008 but the first time it's been committed to magnetic storage media.
IT's also the first time I tried using textures (from various internet sources and Fate Stay Night) which worked quite well with the style of the drawing.

Falling Down went through a lot of stages to draw, which I might if people are interested talk through as a guide to doing a good Paint picture of a robot, but for now you can have a GIF of the process ;P

Any thoughts?

[size0]All images are