The Weathered Isle

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
User avatar
Madman
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny

Having seen what transpired without being seen herself, Theodora slips back into the bushes. It's getting late and she's quite tired. However, she decides to return to the red idol not far away. When she reaches it, she notes the other European woman and the squinty man standing there. It seems that the latter has contacted the statuette but the former is waiting. Smart, the empress thinks. That'll buy us some time. The countdown is at about forty minutes. "Leonidas," she says to whoever can understand her. "Is he off retrieving the others?"

Edward and Khutulun are among those "retrieved," and they follow the voice of Leonidas, who tells them to follow the red beam with the utmost urgency while he breifly investigates something. They see him stop beside a lonely, weathered statue. He reaches down to brush some caked on dirt from the plaque at its base, and then suddenly, he disappears as if he weren't even there&#33;

Leonidas has time to make out "Instant Transmitter - Triangle" before the world turns white and he finds himself flash blinded for a moment. He blinks fiercely and looks around to gain his bearings. He is in a thickly forested area. There are no signs of other people. In the near distance, he sees the shimmer of moonlight off of a large lake. Nearby, a river seems to be flowing out of the lake. There is a stand of massive willow trees nearby, and another statue right in front of him. This one is marked with a handful of shapes and a trio of symbols also. It reads: Square, Circle, 1, Triangle.

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

Admiral Yi and Theodore also place a hand on Lawrence, who faces this potential test with firm resolve. The monk and the Frenchman follow suit. When Lawrence reaches out to touch the idol, something like a mild electrical shock pulses through him. Almost instantly, the red beam disappears and the group is plunged into near-darkness lit only by the light of the twin moons and a couple of torches. However, further information floods into the minds of the six castaways, like it had when they'd first arrived. They learn that in addition to the seven crystals that they need to collect, there are other helpful items on this island that, while not their ultimate goal, will help them to achieve it more easily. They are reminded that they may vote for one member to gain a detection ability, and told how the process works. They vote by placing a hand on the person whom they choose, and having that person touch the idol to register the vote, not dissimilar to what they'd just done, which was a sort of trial run. The idol will no longer inflict any discomfort upon being touched, and will instead offer up vague and sometimes witty anecdotes and observations.

The group takes a moment to let everything percolate, and Lawrence confirms that he can indeed be understood by the others by asking Admiral Yi as much. The Admiral is the next to speak. "It is getting late. I have noticed that the red moon has already changed phase. We should rest soon, but perhaps we should introduce ourselves now that communication is no longer a barrier. A vote may follow tonight, though we can wait until the morning should the decision prove a difficult one." Reminding himself that this is not the military and he can't just bark out orders, he adds, "Are there any other ideas?"

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big> (Silent Sister)

The door opens and there is a disheveled-looking werewolf behind it, holding a stein of beer, with a hip-cloak and a sheathed sword. He looks Alonso up and down once over. "Haha, you look like you've had one helluva night, amigo. Care for a drink?"
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

User avatar
NWOWWE
Posts: 6840
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: E-Town, PA
Contact:

The Weathered Isle

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 pm

"Yes, getting some rest before making any further major decisions seems like a good idea."
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
"A good call Mr Sun-sin. My name is Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States of America but please, call me T. R. I feel that the other thing we should be aware of is that last I knew, the year was 1908 - I gather from my friend Mr Chamberlain here, that that at least is not from whence he is from - are each of you the same?"

"But while we discuss this, I feel it would do us well to locate a strategic location to use as a base - I for one am unfamiliar with this land, and feel it would be best to explore it in the knowledge of a secure location we could return to"

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Very confused by the bronze armoured man's sudden disappearance, she decides to follow his last instruction and follow the red beam of light.

User avatar
The_Angry_Goat
Posts: 2316
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Above, below, and behind you, but never exactly where you are looking.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The_Angry_Goat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Disliking the idea of being left alone, but disliking the speed at which she made the decision, edward follows the heretic for now.

He will remember this, however
‽ ROBOTICS (199 - 102 lifetime)
MAJOR CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//NICK'S FUZZY RULES

Thunderground
armchair Astronaut: 0-0
You Have Excellent Taste In shirts: 0-0
Handgun Bobcat: 0-0
Delorean Cowboy: 0-0


ROBOT2
Hat Garage: 6-3
Lilian: 5-3
Blue Max: 3-4
Neuromancer: 4-4


im my own god ~MassimoV
That's nice, dear. Have you considered being your own god somewhere else? ~Rocket_III
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Leonidas will study the statue more.

Euler


User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:29 am

Meichuo

The princess stifles a yawn. It is getting late and she could use some rest. For a moment, she is stricken by fear. She will not be sleeping in her own bed. She's in some strange place, with five strange men, without her husband or anybody else who she knows. Truth be told, she doesn't even know where she'll sleep, necessarily&#33; The insanity of it all is too much, so she makes a conscious effort to just shut that out and treat this as a series of problems to be solved.

Then Ti Er speaks, and she giggles slightly when he makes the mistake that all westerners make with Asian names, since their names are backwards. Quickly, she stifles her mirth and continues to listen. While she's not familiar with the precise words, she understands that he is the leader of his entire country. America is the New World, however, the place that the western sailors have been traveling to recently. The place where the Spanish get all of their gold and silver. 1908? 1908&#33; There is no direct equivalent in the calendar that she's accustomed to, but she understands that Ti Er is from over 250 years in the future&#33; Perhaps America is a great empire in its own right by then, and this 'President' is its emperor&#33; How unladylike she's been with a man of his stature&#33; How unrefined and improper&#33; Meichuo's cheeks flush with shame. She has always struggled to be proper. It has never been a personal strength.

"It's an honour to truly meet you, your grace," she says to Ti Er, bowing slightly. "And all of you as well." She acknowledges each of the others in turn. "People call me Princess Changping, though my name is Zhu Meichuo. For those of you from the West, you likely know that our names in the East are the opposite of yours. The family name comes first and the given second. As for me, my father was the last of the Ming emperors." She decides to...simplify actual events somewhat, while leaving their core essence intact. "He died and I was...injured when Beijing fell to the rebels. There is a new dynasty now - the Qing. They speak nice words, though they are little more than northern barbarians and usurpers. So far as I understand western years, I would be from...1646."

Thinking some more, she begins to follow <del>Ti Er</del> Mr. Roosevelt, who seems to have started walking. "I agree that we should find somewhere to stay, though for the time being, maybe we should try to get back to the village where we started? Maybe we could find somewhere comparatively warm and safe to sleep there?"

Alonso

Oh. Okay. A wolfman. Wearing clothes. Drinking beer. Not trying to tear my face off. Nothing unusual about that.
On the one hand, everything that his teachers, priests, and nuns have tried to instill in him says that this creature is evil. On the other, he really could use a beer, he's still not convinced that any of this is real, and if this place hasn't managed to kill him yet, it probably never will. Alonso takes his hand off of his sword, though he's ready to go for it on a split second's notice, and walks inside. "A beer sounds real good right about now." That, and some information, and that crystal.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)


The Monsterworks: 141 - 42 (.770) ...Probably up to no good.

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 pm

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny

Khutulun and Edward both arrive at the statuette at around the same time, and are promptly told what to do by Theodora and Euler. Julie takes the opportunity to toss a twig at the floating idol, and after a flash of pain in her forehead, she confirms that everyone else can understand her speech. Edward and Khutulun are next. Not only do they have to contact the statue, but then there's the news about Leonidas...

Speaking of which, Leonidas finds himself in another unfamiliar place. He briefly notes the rive and the lake. There is a particularly large reddish boulder with veins of quartz and even a bit of amethyst in it, but he pays these little heed. He investigates this second statue further, and its plaque is not as obscured by dirt as the first. In addition to the "square, circle, 1, triangle" sequence on the stone itself, the plaque reads "Instant Transmitter - Square".

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

Lawrence is exhausted, though he tries to keep up with the conversation. There is still the nagging issue of that map to an item for personal use, and he too sees the glimmer that the princess had noted in the distance. In any case, sleep is calling him.

Theodore seems to have a bit more energy, and he tries to get the lay of the land as the group heads back. There may be a small lake just to what he arbitrarily decides is south. There seem to be hills to the west, and more desert to the east. The place where they arrived is to the Northeast. A compass sure would come in handy. As a military man, Col. Chamberlain wouldn't happen to be carrying one, would he?

The news of the fall of the Ming dynasty saddens Admiral Yi somewhat. They were firm allies of his people against the aggression of the Japanese, and they brought prosperity and peace to their country. He can also sense that there is more that Princess Changping has left out. He decides not to press her on the matter. Instead, he introduces himself. "I am Yi Sun-sin, Admiral of the Korean fleet, and it is an honour to meet you, though perhaps we all wish that the circumstances were a bit less...alarming. Before I found myself here, I had campaigned against the Japanese invasion of my country." It occurs to him that some of these people from later times may know of the outcome. It occurs to him that his absence may affect it. Or will it? This could be some sort of spirit world with little impact on reality. I suppose I can hope... "However, few politicians truly understand war, and I fear that my position is tenuous back home. As for my character, it is my hope that you will find me a man of industry, ingenuity, and integrity. I certainly strive for these qualities in my daily life. So far as I know, I arrived here from the year 1593."

He pauses. Then, "I concur with the princess' reasoning. For the time being, we can make camp in those ruins. Though we have no way of knowing the exact hour, I would suppose that it is late. I remember the way back well enough, though. Tomorrow, we should locate a defensible position or perhaps make the village defensible should that prove feasible."
Last edited by Madman on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

Mole55
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Mole55 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:02 pm

"So, who is everyone?"

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
Theodore makes a note of the lake but also pays attention to the others in his party. Particularly Albert Camus stands out to me

"Excuse me sir, but of all of us you seem to the one that stands out to me - your outfit doesn't seem to quite match anything I know. I would like to know - are you perhaps from a time past even my own present?"

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Khutulun picks up a pebble and tosses it at the idol.

PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 am

Leonidas
Well then, Leonidas will touch the square and see what happens. If nothing, then he will go looking for clear water, shelter and if he has time, wood for a fire and food, but that seems unlikely.

Euler


User avatar
Madman
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:35 pm

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny

Julie's question is promptly answered by Khutulun tossing a stone that pings off of the statue. As she feels a sting race from the back to the front of her skull like a volley of tiny arrows, she shakes her head to clear it and immediately finds, much to her relief, that she can understand what comes next. Leonhard Euler responds to Julie's question, and people begin to understand that they have been pulled here not only from different places, but from entirely different times as well. With Euler finished, Theodora goes next.

"I am Theodora, Empress regnant of the Roman Empire, along with my husband and emperor Justinian. Approach me with the respect due one of my station and you will find that I gladly return it. We must work in concert if we are to survive what I fear is an ungodly place." The empress glances around in a friendly, open manner, almost beseeching, but beneath the facade, she is suspicious of at least a couple of the others. "I have been taken here from the year of our lord 529," she adds.

People look expectantly at the recently-arrived Edward, who has yet to contact the statue. Perhaps he should attempt to do so.

In another place altogether, Leonidas decides to touch the statue, and immediately he is flash blinded again. This time, after he blinks, he finds himself facing another weathered statue, with the sequence: "Circle, 1, Triangle, Square" inscribed upon it. The plaque is somewhat visible and it seems to read "Instant Transmitter - Circle". However, the environment that he finds himself in is markedly different. This is an arid place, though a pond sparkles in the near distance. There are a handful of prickly pear cacti, like those he has heard grow near Syracuse and on the Isle of Malta. Leonidas takes in his surroundings, and strains his hearing for a moment. Is that just wind, or can he hear voices?&#33; "...like to know...past even my own..."

The words are queer and he does not understand them, which is odd given that he has contacted the idol. His heart races. With the finely honed senses of a career soldier, he is able to figure out the rough direction that the barely-audible voices are coming from. The question is, what, if anything, should he do about them?

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

Theodore manages to follow the path that they took to the idol back towards camp, and the group makes slow but steady progress. Along the way, he catalogues a few more cacti, the presence of a pond, and another couple fig trees. There also seems to be a worn out statue, but his instincts tell him that this group needs sleep most of all. Meichuo is clearly exhausted and Lawrence looks ready to turn in. The thickly-bearded monk has been stereotypically quiet, and looks like the sort to bear almost anything stoically, as does the Korean admiral - a sturdy, reliable sort. The oddly-attired Frenchman hasn't said much either, so the president decides to ask him a question.

"Excuse me sir, but of all of us you seem to the one that stands out to me - your outfit doesn't seem to quite match anything I know. I would like to know - are you perhaps from a time past even my own present?"

However, before the Frenchman has the chance to answer, there is a flash of light in the distance, not too far from the pond, in the direction of those cacti and that statue...

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big> (Silent Sister)

The moment that Alonso steps into the tower, a beer stein is thrust into his hand. He can't quite believe his eyes. Inside, there is a pack of werewolves, a brood of vampires, a host of ghosts, a gaggle of goblins, a trio of trolls, multiple mummies, and a flock of faeries. All seem to be laughing, drinking, and dancing. There's loud music, but Alonso can't seem to make out where it's coming from. He thanks the goblin who handed him the beer, and tries to get the lay of the land. There are a few...people sitting at the bar, including a lone stunningly beautiful vampiress sipping some kind of drink from a fancy glass and a pair of mummies deep in mumbling conversation. A couple of drunken werewolves are leaving it all out on the dancefloor, and the faeries can't help but dance - in three dimensions. There are some trolls in an alcove intently playing some sort of card game, and a couple of vampires in another who are more or less having sex with clothes on. The ghosts are scattered everywhere, and they seem to be a mix of all types - all races, times periods, and stations in life...or death.

Above is a spiral staircase that hugs the tower's inner wall. There seem to be about three other floors, with rooms in a ring around the outside. However, there's a large ogre guarding the entrance to the steps...or, at least he seems to be guarding it. What could be worth guarding up there?
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Leonidas goes after the voices.

User avatar
The_Angry_Goat
Posts: 2316
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Above, below, and behind you, but never exactly where you are looking.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The_Angry_Goat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Edward heartily distrusts the statue. But then... Theodora does seem to trust it, so it was perhaps not the worst of ideas...

He reaches out to tentatively touch it after crossing himself
‽ ROBOTICS (199 - 102 lifetime)
MAJOR CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//NICK'S FUZZY RULES

Thunderground
armchair Astronaut: 0-0
You Have Excellent Taste In shirts: 0-0
Handgun Bobcat: 0-0
Delorean Cowboy: 0-0


ROBOT2
Hat Garage: 6-3
Lilian: 5-3
Blue Max: 3-4
Neuromancer: 4-4


im my own god ~MassimoV
That's nice, dear. Have you considered being your own god somewhere else? ~Rocket_III
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:02 am

Meichuo

Upon seeing the flash, Meichuo turns to look. It is over the crest of a hill. "Did anyone else notice that?&#33;" She asks, wondering if the exhaustion isn't getting to her.

The princess keeps looking, and she thinks that she sees the silhouette of a man, running towards them. "Guys..." she starts, trying to keep the tremor from her voice, "he's heading right for us. What should we do?"

She hopes he's friendly. Oh but she hopes he's friendly. Meichuo is no fighter by any stretch of the imagination. At least Admiral Yi, Lawrence, and <del>Ti Er</del> President Roosevelt look strong... and two of them have guns if it comes down to that.

Meichuo decides to try something. She's about as nonthreatening as people come. "Hello, stranger&#33; Please identify yourself&#33;"

Alonso

Alonso kisses his immediate deliverance from this island goodbye, though he's not as bothered as he might've been a few hours ago. He has the distinct feeling that he'll get another chance down the line. Despite the...strangeness of the denizens, this was absolutely his kind of party. Sidling up beside the Vampiress, he orders himself a mug of rum and asks if she'd like anything. Gotta get the lay of the land first, he thinks. Find out what's up there and how to get up there.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)


The Monsterworks: 141 - 42 (.770) ...Probably up to no good.

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 am

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
Theodore grabs his Winchester at the flash of light - could this be some kind of attack?. A figure is running towards them and appears to be armed

"Princress Zhu, stand back&#33; This man looks armed&#33;"

Theodore shouts out loud enough for the man to hear:

"Halt and declare your intentions&#33;"

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Khutulun considers those around her now that hse is able to understand them. She doesn't like the attitude of superiority they express, and throwing about of titles. Clearly they thought highly of themselves if they thought such things should awe her.

"I am Khutulun, Princess to the Mongols and Great Great Grand-Daughter to Chinggis Khaan, the most mighty Conqueror of all History&#33; So named Empress Theodora and the rest of you - I do not just give my respect to titles and stations I have never heard of - I will grant respect to those I deem worthy of it, and not a single other. Now, where is this land of spirits and why have I been bought here?"

Post Reply