The Weathered Isle

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Euler

Euler panicked, and looked around.

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 pm

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

Chamberlain doesn't notice immediately, but upon the words 'for myself' being spoken, the red line denoting, 'for my companions' disappears on the map. The timer stops and Lawrence is left standing there by the table with the compass, key, and map, now with only a single path. Hearing President Roosevelt's call, he hurries over in that direction.

Teddy isn't having much luck with the shed, but Lawrence has his back. The colonel arrives before long, carrying a rolled-up map in one hand. One of his pockets also seems to be full.

Sun-sin knows what the princess is onto. What a brilliant little blockhead you are he muses wryly. "I think I know what you're onto, your highness," he says in conversational Korean.

Admiral Yi addresses her in Korean, and despite hearing the words exactly as they sound and having virtually no previous knowledge of Korean herself, Meichuo understands everything that he says. However, she doesn't seem to have learned the language. She can't speak it herself. She tries a particularly complex turn of phrase in Chinese, sort of a pun that a foreigner of any sort would be unlikely to grasp. The Admiral chuckles politely. "I think we have cracked it," he says. "However, these numbers. They're decreasing. They are like an hourglass, I fear." Unsure if he should leave since the timer seems to currently be locked onto his language, he turns to Meichuo again. "Are you alright to run back to the others, child?"
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Meichuo

The princess nods, even though she still feels a little bit dizzy. Suck it up, she tells herself. You've been through far worse. She promises to be back and sets off immediately, heading for the ruined village. As it gets closer, she begins calling out "Ti Er&#33;" If Admiral Yi could understand me, she reasons, Maybe the westerners can too&#33;
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)


The Monsterworks: 163 - 47 (.776) ...Probably up to no good.
The Cherry Bomb Classic III: 21-4
Show
Carbonemys: 7-1 Semifinals
Black Diamond: 9-0 Champion!
I Dance Crabcore, Motherfucker!: 5-3 Quarterfinals

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:57 pm

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny

Julie is able to pry the window open quite easily and she climbs inside. It's extremely dark in here, and every footstep that she takes is accompanied by a clinking sound beneath her feet. Almost as if she's walking on countless tiny pieces of metal. She can't quite escape the feeling that she's not alone in here, even as her eyes start to adjust. Involuntarily, a chill runs up her spine and she can't help but wonder why this cabin is so far from the others, at the very edge of the village. The front door is only a couple of yards away, and she could open it from the inside to let some more light in, but first she has to walk through the blackest section of the cabin.

Ignoring the chance to read the plaque, Leonidas makes for Theodora and arrives to find herself brushing herself off and looking a bit woozy. "Be cautious," she warns, addressing him in that queer Greek of hers, but he finds that he understands it far better than he did less than an hour ago. "Don't touch it. I'd recommend throwing something at it." Leonidas notes a series of ghostly numbers in glowing red above the statuette. They seem to be a numerical version of an hourglass, and he can't even begin to fathom the powerful magics at work. The timer currently stands at 0:52:00 and written above it is "Synchronizing Byzantine Greek".

Euler is so panicked that he's not even certain which device he chose until he looks again and sees that it's the one for his 'companions'. He holds it up and the red button starts flashing. It seems to be beckoning him to press it.

Khutulun slinks from cover to cover most expertly, following the horses upstream at a jog until the river is shallower and calmer. She thinks that she can see a footbridge in the distance, but then, as the horses begin to cross and her eyes follow the path they will likely take across the river, she sees something long and lean and sinewy slither through the water towards them. It's big. It's really big.

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

Meichuo arrives at the edge of the village, huffing and puffing. "Hello?" she shouts. "Is anyone here? Can you understand me? I need you guys to hurry and come right away&#33;" Though the words are spoken in Chinese, the quiet westerner sitting by the fire immediately seems to understand what she's saying, and he seems as surprised as she is by this sudden ability. Now, she can only hope that the others have heard as well.

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big> (Silent Sister)

Alonso makes good time paddling across the lake, and there seems to be no sign of danger from the shore. However, before long, a chill wind picks up. It starts howling. The water is deep and glass-smooth, and pitch black despite the wind. The howling continues. It grows in intensity. Alonso paddles faster and a mist spreads across the lake. The wind plays tricks with it, making it denser in some places, so that it almost looks like ghostly human figures are sweeping across the unnaturally calm surface. The wailing seems to change pitch and tone, almost as if the figures - no, the wind - is speaking. Then, something that sounds like an unearthly scream splits the night, and Alonso finds one of the apparitions barreling straight at him, its mouth open wide enough to swallow a man's head and its arms reaching, reaching, hungering...
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Leonidas

Leonidas looks for something to throw, and upon finding something, he tosses it towards the statue.

Euler

Euler presses the button on the object, and then waits for something to happen.

User avatar
The_Angry_Goat
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Above, below, and behind you, but never exactly where you are looking.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The_Angry_Goat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Quite a curious find, edward muses, returning to his foraging. He
‽ ROBOTICS (220 - 112 lifetime)
MAJOR CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//NICK'S FUZZY RULES

CBCIII
Cuddle Time!: 5-2
Scion: 7-2 (finalist)
Chimera V: 7-1 (undefeated in the regular season, semifinalist)
Delorean Cowboy: 2-4


ROBOTS3...?
Found God in a Tomato: 0-0
Venice Queen: 0-0
Visual Assault: 0-0
Blackburn Kangaroo: 0-0


potato nazis~V900

nonagon is a 2wd wedge with a good driver you could stick a rotting fish to it and it would win fights ~Badnik96
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mole55
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Mole55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Julie runs over to the front door, and opens it

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 pm

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
Hearing some kind of shouting, Theodora runs back to camp with his Winchester ready - what if they are being attacked?&#33;

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Khutulun flails and shouts to scarce the horses back away from the water (and maybe attract the attentions of the rest of her party) and while she doesn't approach the river to risk herself, she draws her axe just in case she needs to defend herself.

User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:55 am

Meichuo

As soon as she sees Ti Er come running with his gun, Meichuo is strangely relieved. She estimate's that she only took about fifteen minutes to run back, but she's pretty exhausted. When was the last time I was this physically active? She can't even remember. Her clothes aren't exactly helping, and her elaborate hair is a sweaty mess. She reaches up and pulls out some of the pins holding it in place. "&#27700;," she pants, "&#25105;&#38656;&#35201;&#27700;." (Water, I need water." Catching her breath a bit, she tries saying more. "Over that way." She points. "We followed the beam of light. There was a figurine. If you touch it, it'll shock you. It hurts, but it lets other people understand you regardless of language. It's on a timer though. I think everyone has to touch it maybe?" Now to just hope that worked, she thinks, casting about for something to drink.

Alonso

Dios Mio&#33; It's like a pirates' tale made real. Alonso doesn't have much time to react. The fear that courses through him is real and existential, but he has stared down death dozens of times before without losing his cool. Thinking that since these apparitions emerged from the mist they may be made of it, he sweeps the boat's paddles through the air in front of the one attacking him, hoping to dispel or at least disrupt it.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)


The Monsterworks: 163 - 47 (.776) ...Probably up to no good.
The Cherry Bomb Classic III: 21-4
Show
Carbonemys: 7-1 Semifinals
Black Diamond: 9-0 Champion!
I Dance Crabcore, Motherfucker!: 5-3 Quarterfinals

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 am

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
This sounds astonishing&#33; Thanking the young woman and pointing her in the direction of water (if he knows), Theodore then beckons to Chamberlain that they should go and investigate this figurine (Theodore will touch it immediately)
Last edited by Alexjh on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny

Leonidas tosses a twig at the statue and it lets out a shockwave. There is a numbing and stinging sensation in his head, the timer resets, and the floating letters now read, "Synchronizing Spartan Greek". This is an important development. They can now communicate freely, but time is ticking.

Leonhard presses the red button and a voice emerges from one of the meshes. Is this science or sorcery&#33;? If it's the former, how wondrous it is&#33; Leonhard listens carefull to what it has to say.

"To the north of this camp, if you continue walking in a straight line following the gap between the stables and the lavatory, you will eventually come upon a gnarled tree stump with a great red mushroom growing out of it. Measure the distance from the lavatory to the tree stump. Return to the lavatory, but head due east through the gap between the lavatory and the strangely intact cabin at a right angle to your earlier walk. You will continue through the forest until you reach an old statue. Measure this distance as well, in addition to the height of the statue. Use the right angle to imagine that there is a triangle, with your starting point and your two ending points as the three corners. At the midpoint of the hypotenuse, take the square root of the statue's height and you will find an object of great use at that precise height."

The message ends, and another one plays. It explains that this device and the other like it are known as a two-way radios. They are powered by electricity. It further explains that they allows to people to communicate over significant distances and elucidates on how to work the devices.

Julie goes to open the door, and flings it open, but there is still darkness. There is a second door in place of the first. She swears that she can hear breathing behind her, wet and heavy. She can feel a presence. Desperately, she flings the second door open and light spills into the cabin, glinting off of piles of gold coins. The entire floor is carpeted in them. Stepping gratefully outside, she gazes back at where she was standing. There was a statue behind her - a statue of a horror - a great, slavering demon that seemed to be reaching for her, vile horns, fangs and claws at the ready. But it wasn't real. No. It wasn't real. It was only stone. She looks again at the gold. It is a veritable fortune. She can't believe how much there is. Is it hers for the taking?

Khutulun tries to warn away the horses, and some of them heed her cries, but one is a bit to slow. Scarce able to believe her eyes, she watches as an enormous, serpentine form rises from the water and plucks a horse up as if it is nothing, shaking it violently until it ceases struggling. The beast gorges itself on the carcass as the other horses scatter. Khutulun is suddenly terrified of moving. One slip and that...thing could make her its next meal. silently, smoothly, she begins to back away, but then the horror turns to face her, its eyes glowing with obsidian fire. Then, words emerge from its vast, bloody maw: "It is rude to sneak up on people while they are eating, child..."

Edward, wary of a strange place like this and sensing foul magicks in the air, does not follow the silhouette. He continues foraging and is able to locate another orange tree and a grove of blueberry bushes. In the distance, something rustles in the bushes, and he sees a deer dash away. As he nears the river, he suddenly hears a vaguely familiar voice shouting. There is a tremendous splash, horses whinnying in fear, hooves, and then the sound of meat being beaten on a stone. A few moments of relative silence follow. And then emerges a deep, raspy voice. "It is rude to sneak up on people while they are eating, child..."

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

Amazed and grateful that he can understand the Chinese girl despite not knowing more than a handful of words in her language, Theodore tosses her a canteen, which she fumbles with, drops, and then picks up. His words still seem lost upon her, but his gestures are clear enough. Understanding that time is of the essence, he calls Lawrence over and the pair start moving, making good time over the rocky terrain.

The two Americans find the oriental man waiting for them and find that they can understand him, though it also seems to work one way. He briefly introduces himself as Yi Sun-sin as he leads them back to the statuette, and Teddy finds that he recognizes the name. This man was a famous admiral. Perhaps the equal of Horatio Nelson himself&#33; When they arrive, the timer has ticked down to twenty five minutes. Heeding the Admiral's warning about making direct contact with the mysterious item, the president opts to throw a pebble at it. Immediately, Teddy staggers backwards, a sharp pain stabbing at his forehead, but it clears moments later and he can see that the timer has reset to a full hour and ghostly red letters above it now read, "synchronizing American English 1". Lawrence would be the obvious next person to contact the idol, and to do so immediately, but there's still no sign of the monk and the Frenchman yet.

Meichuo is pretty thirsty and exhausted, and she chugs water from the strange flask in a positively unladylike manner. "Go&#33;" she urges the quiet westerner. "They need you&#33;" There's still the matter of the monk who may be Bodhidharma, however. She dares not disturb his meditation, though she knows that she may need to.

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big> (Silent Sister)

The horror reaches for Alonso and he draws back, its misty claws becoming suddenly, alarmingly solid. One of them manages to slash at his ear, leaving a small cut, but Alonso's quick thinking seems to save the day. The shade is dispelled and spreads across the water. He is not particularly far from shore, but more of the phantoms are closing in. Alonso needs to decide whether he will stand and fight, or make a break for it.
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

MadBull
Posts: 2151
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by MadBull » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Albert Camus"Ah yes, communication is key to collectively make sense out of this otherwise senseless situation, if this can be achieved, show me the way and I will follow."
Bodhidharma Bodhidharma hears what is being said. Whilst the goal of his meditation is to shut down what happens outside him, he can not do so, not completely, not with whatever is happening to his senses here, in this strange strange situation. He hears that he can aquire a way to communcate with these strangers. The idea of breaking his meditation frightens him, but Bodhidharma is also a teacher, he can make these people reach enlightenment... and speaking their language would reaaaalllyyyy help...

Mole55
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Mole55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Julie is no fool. She doesn't go for the gold, because it is so obviously a trap. She wants to explore the building a little further.

User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Meichuo

When the quiet westerner asks her what she assumes is to lead him there (though she still can't understand him), Meichuo can't help but let out a little whimpering sound. It just escapes her, completely involuntary and unbidden. She wants her husband. She wants her bed. Her beautiful dress is ruined and she is exhausted. The snarky part of her thinks find it yourself, roundeye, but the dutiful part wins out. She is in the presence of a holy man, after all, and he seems to have risen as well. She takes another sip, refills her canteen from the well, and offers it to the monk who may or may not be Bodhidharma.

"Please follow me," she says.

Alonso

Without hesitation, Alonso rows like a galley slave. This isn't the first time that he's a rowed a boat to save his life and he's damned if it'll be his last. "Lord God, protect me, your faithful servant, in his hour of greatest need. I beg of you&#33; I will devote my life to good works. I will give all of my fortune..." or at least a significant percentage to the church&#33; I will go to mass every Sunday&#33;" Of course, while rowing, he's not an idiot. Alonso keeps tabs on the approaching phantoms, ready to sweep them away if need be. Curiously, it ever occurs to him that this may be a didactic consequence of being a bit too greed. Alonso has always found a way to have his cake and eat it too...
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)


The Monsterworks: 163 - 47 (.776) ...Probably up to no good.
The Cherry Bomb Classic III: 21-4
Show
Carbonemys: 7-1 Semifinals
Black Diamond: 9-0 Champion!
I Dance Crabcore, Motherfucker!: 5-3 Quarterfinals

User avatar
The_Angry_Goat
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Above, below, and behind you, but never exactly where you are looking.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The_Angry_Goat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Edward approaches the source of the sound slowly and warily, trying to keep hidden. He hasn
‽ ROBOTICS (220 - 112 lifetime)
MAJOR CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//NICK'S FUZZY RULES

CBCIII
Cuddle Time!: 5-2
Scion: 7-2 (finalist)
Chimera V: 7-1 (undefeated in the regular season, semifinalist)
Delorean Cowboy: 2-4


ROBOTS3...?
Found God in a Tomato: 0-0
Venice Queen: 0-0
Visual Assault: 0-0
Blackburn Kangaroo: 0-0


potato nazis~V900

nonagon is a 2wd wedge with a good driver you could stick a rotting fish to it and it would win fights ~Badnik96
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply