The Weathered Isle

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
User avatar
NWOWWE
Posts: 6840
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: E-Town, PA
Contact:

The Weathered Isle

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 am

Chamberlain shielded his eyes from the bright light. He then noticed the woman gesturing to President Roosevelt.

"It would seem she has the right idea Mr. President. I think at least some of us should look into where this light is directing us. I would be willing to take lead of such an expedition, though we may want to see if we can carry some water along with us. Provided, of course, it is fit for drinking. I seem to be missing nearly all my gear, but we might find something around here to serve as a makeshift canteen."

Given the communication barrier that seemed apparent, he turned to the woman. He gestured to the water and then made a cupping shape with his hands and mimed carrying it. Hopefully it got the proper message across.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 am

Meichuo

Meichuo understands! She nods exaggeratedly to make sure that the Westerners know. Then, taking a few steps forward, she peers into the well. Maybe there's water in there!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)


The Monsterworks: 141 - 42 (.770) ...Probably up to no good.

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
They seem to be making a little communication progress with the elaborately dressed young asian woman at least, so that was some progress. He tries to listen to what the young woman has to say, but unfortunately his chinese language ability fails him and he fails to get the specifics.

"Given we do not know the terrain here, it would be my thinking that it's worth getting more general supplies as well - it is my belief that we should scout the immediate area to try and gather anything useful for our survival here. Water certainly, but also food, perhaps anything that could be used to produce shelter, and tools, or even any good firewood. Wherever we are, we should be prepared to face it boldly and without undue fear."

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Looking at the others, but failing to have much grasp of what any are saying, she decides to scout around their immediate area for anything that would be useful for their survival.

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 am

<big>Western Castaways</big>

With little agreement in camp, a vote on who should wield the finding power/burden is postponed for the time being. For her part, Theodora decides to take it upon herself to investigate where the intense beam of light leads. She still has her dagger, for what it's worth, and notes that most people's small personal items and sidearms seem to be present. The light from the two moons is intense enough that she can navigate by it, though this is a rather harrowing walk to be certain. Before long, she finds herself in a forest, and up ahead, she can see a river. The beam appears to stop abruptly there, and there is a small, glowing red shape that seems to look like a person.

Also deciding to follow the beam is Leonidas, though he seems to be moving in something like a zigzag pattern, casting about for his lost shield. He falls behind before long, and just as he's considering calling off the search, a glimmer of something metallic sticking out of a wild rosebush catches his eye. As he walks towards it, he also notices a lone figure, tall, standing unmoving at the edge of the forest. After some initial alarm, he recognizes it as a statue. The problem is, should he investigate the shiny object or the statue first, and is there any point, at this juncture, to trying to catch up to Theodora?

Leonhard and Julie decide to look around the ruins. They find three huts that are reasonably intact. One has three cots, another has two, and the third has a single large, comfortable bed. There also seems to be the remains of a bakery. Though its roof is caved in, the oven looks like it could be made functional, and there are some bags of wheat and flour present. Before long, Leonhard finds a lavatory based upon the stench of the place, while Julie splits off and finds an intact wash basin in a crumbling shop. There are the remains of a stables, but not horses. Only some riding gear and a paltry amount of oats for the absent animals to eat. Finally, Leonhard investigates what seems to be a chapel, though there is no iconography to tie it to any specific religion. On a table that he decides is the altar, is a small, rolled up cloth bundle. For her part, Julie makes it to the edge of the village and discovers that there is a much newer and nice looking cabin, but the door is shut and locked firmly, and the glazed windows protected by heavy iron bars.

Edward and Khutulun both decide to forage for supplies. Edward has made enough fires on campaign that he soon has enough wood and has a crackling bonfire started in the firepit near the center of the ruins. He decides to look for any game he might find, also cataloguing the local flora in case there are any fruit-producing trees and any suitable for crafting a crude bow. He is able to find a small grove of apple trees, as well as a rare, and usually warm-climate orange tree and lemon tree. There also appear to be a couple of berry bushes at the margin of the forest. The condition of the bushes definitely suggests rabbits, and the stripping of saplings suggests deer, which is well. Edwards gazes into the distance and takes not of rugged mountains, which are separated from him by a small river. Thinking to test if the water is fresh, he crouches down beside it, when he notices the glimmer of something metallic lodged between two boulders just offshore.

Khutulun ranges north and finds herself to be in open grassland with occasional groves of trees. From bushes, she collects some berries that she knows to be edible in a small pouch, and pays careful attention to the grass and low-lying plants. There are definitely grazing animals present. Hearing the sound of rushing water, she walks towards it, eventually coming to a waterfall on a small river. To her left, in the distance, is the ocean. To her right stretches more grassland. Suddenly, though, Khutulun hears a familiar and very welcome sound: hooves on dirt. Lots of hooves. Peering intently across the river, she watches as a herd of horses gallops into view. Though the light is poor and the horses are distant, she estimates that there must be dozens of them at least. The only issue is that they're on the other side of the river, which is fast and filled with rapids.

<big>Eastern Castaways</big>

With some appreciable degree of communication taking place, Meichuo is feeling pretty encouraged. Peering into the well, she doesn't see much, but she decides to drop a pebble down to be sure, and is excited to hear the sound of a small splash. There is, indeed, water in the well. "&#36825;&#37324;&#26377;&#27700;&#33;" she exclaims, motioning the action of drinking for the others' benefit. Admiral Yi congratulates her, the quiet westerner peers in as well, and the others acknowledge the discover happily, with the exception of the monk who she thinks may be Bodhidharma. He sits nearby, cross-legged, deep in meditation. She dares not disturb him. With the water issue solved surprisingly easily, however, she wonders what should be done next.

Teddy and Lawrence work well as a team, scouting first the village and then the surrounding area. Splitting up somewhat but always remaining within shouting distance of each other, they discover a trio of small huts in reasonably good shape. The first contains three cots, the second has two and a small table, and the third has a reasonably large and comfortable bed. The thatched roofs of all three will need some patching, but Teddy stumbles upon a small sea of reeds by the shore nearby, while Lawrence is able to scavenge a good deal of firewood from the collapsed roof of a ruined building. There are definitely signs of game here, Teddy notices, and he is quite glad to have his trusty Winchester by his side. Lawrence, thankfully seems to have a firearm as well. The pair find a series of cacti that Teddy remembers are prickly pear that grow an edible fruit by the same name, as well as well as a date palm and a small, scraggly-looking lemon tree. Returning to the ruined village, they find a half-collapsed stables with a bit of oat feed for nonexistent horses and some riding gear. There's a lavatory, a bakery with some flour, yeast, and salt, and a storeroom with a crude set of tools, a bucket, a shovel, a wash basin, a pair of old canteens, and what Teddy recognizes as a canister of gasoline. With two buildings remaining, Teddy goes down to the seaside to investigate a small, unusually intact cabin only to find that it's firmly locked and the windows shuttered. Lawrence finds himself in what could be a chapel, though there are no signs of what religion it might serve. on a small table that seems like an altar of sorts, is a cloth bundle.

Albert and Admiral Yi, meanwhile, have used the wood to start a fire, but the Admiral leaves to follow the beam. He apprises the princess of where he is headed and sets off, determined not to follow the odd light for an unreasonable distance. He notices some hills in the distance and what must be cacti. He has never seen them before. Indeed, this is an alien environment. The admiral carries on through the bleak landscape by the light of two moons and an improvised torch. Seeing a glint of moonlight against metal in the distance, he stumbles upon an old-style Mongol helmet. If there are mongols about, it can't be good. Eventually, the beam comes to an end and seems to focus on a small, glowing red shape that looks a bit like a person.

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big>

Alonso opens the scroll and finds that it is actually two scrolls. One is a paper copy of the mental map that he already has, but it has a handful of red crosses on it, as if denoting the locations of items. The second is a letter. It reads:

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Alonso</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div> A sailor of your caliber should not remain confined to the lesser of two islands. Make your way to the place where the mouth spits into the ocean. Make it there before the morning tide, and you will find deliverance.[/quote]

It seems that Alonso is now presented with a choice. Continue to pursue the crystal, or seek 'deliverance', whatever form it may take.
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

User avatar
The_Angry_Goat
Posts: 2316
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Above, below, and behind you, but never exactly where you are looking.

The Weathered Isle

Post by The_Angry_Goat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 am

Edward investigates, if it is safe enough for him to do so
‽ ROBOTICS (199 - 102 lifetime)
MAJOR CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//NICK'S FUZZY RULES

Thunderground
armchair Astronaut: 0-0
You Have Excellent Taste In shirts: 0-0
Handgun Bobcat: 0-0
Delorean Cowboy: 0-0


ROBOT2
Hat Garage: 6-3
Lilian: 5-3
Blue Max: 3-4
Neuromancer: 4-4


im my own god ~MassimoV
That's nice, dear. Have you considered being your own god somewhere else? ~Rocket_III
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
NWOWWE
Posts: 6840
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: E-Town, PA
Contact:

The Weathered Isle

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 am

Chamberlain approached the alter and examined the bundle. He then made to open it, curious at to what could be inside.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 am

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
Roosevelt puts his ear to the door of the cabin, while holding his rifle in his other hand. He doesn't want to go disturbing some sleeping bear or something that has got in there.

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Those horses would be a very welcome thing to have indeed, but for right now she feels that going off on her own would be foolish in unfamiliar territories. Much as she would feel a lot happier with such a beast at her side, with no knowledge of what foes or beasts live hereabouts, it would be folly to risk a dangerous river crossing. Pondering a second, just on the off chance she tries a loud whistle to get their attention and maybe they will come to her. Failing that, she will continue looking for water, tools and food.

User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 am

Meichuo

One problem solved&#33; Meichuo thinks, rather proud of herself. She's solved two problems now. I promised myself when I woke up after that terrible day that I wouldn't let myself be a damsel in distress any longer. Whatever this is, and it's surreal, it's at least an opportunity to put that into action.

When Admiral Yi departs, he tells her to let the others know where he's gone. Meichuo carries out his instructions by informing the quiet westerner by the fire using a few simple words and a lot of body language. For good measure, she throws a couple of sticks on the fire for good measure - she's never taken care of a fire before - and scampers after the Admiral.

When they stumble upon the Mongol helmet, both look at each other significantly. Admiral Yi draws his sword and tells Meichuo to be on the lookout. "You shouldn't have come," he admonishes her. "This task is perilous, I fear."

"I am sorry, great Admiral. I thought two sets of eyes might be better than one."

"Yes, perhaps. Keep on the lookout."

They reach the end of the beam without incident and stop in front of the strange figure. Are we supposed to touch it Take it? Is this one of the seven crystals? Uncharacteristically emboldened by her recent successes, Meichuo reaches out to touch it.

Alonso

Alonso regards the map carefully. He assumes that the 'mouth spitting into the ocean' is the mouth of the small river in the south of the island he's on. That river is fed by the lake in the centre of the island. The hint of a glow on the horizon tells him that the night is still young, so Alonso decides to kill two birds with one stone. He'll hug the shore of the lake heading south, and if there's any opportunity to reach the island where a crystal is located, he'll snatch it as quickly as he can and continue on to the southern shore. Wasting no time, he rolls the map up, stuffs it in his jacket, and jogs down the trail, lighting the way with his torch.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)


The Monsterworks: 141 - 42 (.770) ...Probably up to no good.

PyroTechnica
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by PyroTechnica » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am

Leonidas

Leonidas first investigated the shiny object, and then after that the Statue. Then He will run to catch up with Theodora.

Euler

Euler picks up the cloth bundle and examines it and the table it is on, then goes out and calls out in the languages he knows, trying to find someone who can understand them. If he can find them, he will reccomend they go off to follow the light, else he will follow the light alone.

Mole55
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Mole55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 am

Hmmmm...

People had lived here, and possibly still did. This house looked like nothing she had ever seen.

And the situation get weirder.

User avatar
Madman
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Fighting in the shade

The Weathered Isle

Post by Madman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:29 pm

<big>Eastern Castaways</big> (desert) - Joshua Chamberlain, Yi Sun-sin, Bodhidharma, Zhu Meichuo, Albert Camus, Theodore Roosevelt

Lawrence opens the bundle and a single key, a map, and a compass fall onto the table. The key seems to be engraved with a word that he doesn't recognize: 'Willys". The map has two routes drawn on it: one, short and easy, marked in blue and labeled, "for myself", and the other in red, a bit longer, and working its way over some difficult terrain, labeled "for my companions". Lawrence is taken by surprise when what seemed like inked numbers on an old piece of paper begin to count down from one minute. Another word appears on the paper: "decide".

After a bit of inspection, Teddy is satisfied that the cabin is currently unoccupied and probably has been for some time, despite its excellent state of repair. He is able to peer through a gap in one set of shutters and can make out the silhouettes of some large objects inside, possibly metallic. However, the door and shutters remain stubbornly locked and the only way to get inside will be to break something.

At the last moment, Admiral Yi shouts a warning to Meichuo, but her fingers have already made contact with the crystal figurine. Immediately, a searing pain arcs through her body and a shockwave blasts her backwards into the Admiral. Her world swims and begins to go dark as she slumps to the ground. Above the crystal, she fuzzily thinks she sees the words "synchronizing Ming-era Chinese", and some numbers. Then there is nothingness.

Admiral Yi's warning falls on deaf ears. Foolish girl&#33; Is she trying to lose her remaining arm&#33;? He is able to partially catch her and soften the landing, and immediately, he feels for a pulse. She seems to have one and she is breathing regularly. Merely unconscious. Sun-sin looks up at the figurine. "synchronizing Ming-era Chinese", read the glowing red numbers floating above it. A timer begins counting down by the second from 1:00:00. Suddenly, Yi is struck by an idea. Carrying the princess to a safe place, he picks up a pebble and tosses it at the figurine. He misses. Not as good at that as I used to be, he grumbles inwardly. A second throw is more successful. There is a slight 'ping', and a stinging sensation flashes through his head while a slight shockwave, seeming no stronger than a stiff breeze, ruffles his clothes. The letters now read, "Syncing Early-Modern Korean" and the timer resets itself to a full hour once more.

<big>Western Castaways</big> (forest) - Leonidas I, Leonhard Euler, Edward the Confessor, Theodora, Khutulun, Julie D'Aubigny

Edward draws closer to the object and cautiously wades into the river until he is shin deep. Rounding the outer boulder, he is finally able to make out what awaits him. It is a crossbow of the type favoured by the French - a powerful, new, state of the art weapon that has yet to make its way to England in any great quantity. Upon pulling the weapon out from between the two stones and brushing away some of the algae clinging to it, he finds that it is in working condition and that there is a satchel full of bolts only a couple of feet away. This, he fishes out too. Gazing upstream in case there is further bounty to be found, he notices a female silhouette in the near distance. She is following the beam into the forest. For a moment, Edwards wonders if he should follow her or return to foraging.

Leonidas easily fishes the object from the bush and is overjoyed to find that it is his Aspis. He cannot help but feel incomplete without his shield. Deciding to investigate the statue, he finds that it is marked with a trio of shapes and a handful of symbols, one of which he recognizes as a number: Triangle, Square, Circle, 1. The square seems larger and bolder than the other two symbols. There appears to be some dirt obscuring an inscription on the statue. He is not able to make out what it says.

Khutulun decides to err on the side of caution, but her instinct to whistle proves to be a good one. Indeed, a handful of the horses immediately heed the call, and begin to cross the river. Finding the current to be too strong, they pull back, whinnying and neighing. She recognizes a pitch black colt with three bold, white, arrow-shaped markings. It's one of her horses. The pattern is distinct and unmistakable. The horses break into a distressed trot along the far shore. They seem to be heading upstream, looking for a place to cross.

Julie is intrigued by the strange dwelling, but also extremely wary. poking around a bit more, she feels relatively safe saying that nobody is currently in the cabin. She notices that the iron grates covering the windows are hinged and padlocked at the bottom, but one of the locks is loose. Is home invasion something she wants to try? There could be immensely useful supplies inside, but this situation is definitely one that makes her uncomfortable.

Theodora decides to waste no time. She has come to the conclusion that this is either some form of test, or else a devil's game. In any event, she surmises that opportunities presented to her are best seized. She reaches out to touch the red figure, which she can see is made of the same material as the mysterious crystal in the ruined village. However, she draws back at the last moment, flicking her dagger at the figurine instead. It hits with a 'clink' and, immediately, a shockwave causes Theodora to stagger backwards. Then, there is a burning sensation inside her head and her vision swims. The Greek equivalent of "Synchronizing Byzantine Greek" hovers above the figurine in glowing red letters in front of her, and a countdown begins, starting at 1:00:00 and counting down by the second.

Leonhard examines the bundle without opening it yet. He'd rather have somebody else here for the reveal, and he begins calling out to that effect. However, nobody else is present. It seems that at least one or two have already gone off to follow the beam. Curious, he opens the bundle. Inside, a pair of the most curious devices spill out. They are identical to each other and he can tell that they are mechanical in nature. They seem to have a fine metal mesh of some sort at one end, accompanied by a sort of dulled needle, as well as a smaller mesh at the other end and a dial on the side in between. Both have a red button and look as if they are designed to be held. Leonhard has never seen this sort of device, but he is able to make out a label on each. One says, "for you". The other says, "for your companions". Suddenly, a small table clock chimes, and its hands start to move. It takes Euler a moment to understand that they're counting down one minute. There is a word in the middle of the clock. He squints to read it. It says "decide".

<big>Alonso de Contreras</big> (Silent Sister)

Alonso finds that the trail is not as easy to navigate as he would've liked. It's rocky and semi-forested. He could swear he noticed the sounds of rustling in the bushes. However, he finally makes it to the edge of the lake. In the middle, there is a small stone tower on an island. This northern shore is about as far as he can get from the tower. However, he notices a small rowboat pulled up ashore. With that, he'd be able to cross the lake both quickly and safely.
Last edited by Madman on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARC Record: 420-1

Pretty much the best person on ARC

Alexjh
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Alexjh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Theodore Roosevelt @ Ruins 2
Roosevelt decides to call for Chamberlain to help him investigate the hut - he'd rather not break anything if he can help it incase they need the shelter it provides later.

Khutulun @ Ruins 1
Khutulun decides to follow the river up to look for a crossing the horses might come over through. She'll remain cautious however, moving from cover to cover as much as is possible.

User avatar
NWOWWE
Posts: 6840
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: E-Town, PA
Contact:

The Weathered Isle

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Decide... Decide what exactly? What item to take seemed the most likely, but what would prevent him from taking all items? Then again, if a piece of paper could have changing numbers counting down it may not be so outlandish to consider that he would only be allowed to take one.

The key had no immediate or obvious utility, but who could say if it would be useful later? Under ordinary circumstances he wouldn't have considered the compass too closely, but being in an unknown land, normal means of navigation couldn't be relied upon. The map seemed obvious, though the two illustrated paths were curious. The paths seemed too irregular to hope to commit them to memory fully, particularly when he had less than a minute to do so.

"For myself" Chamberlain muttered. Would that mean he would be obligated to take that path himself or would he be allowed to let someone less accustomed to on foot travel take it? Or indeed could only one person take the path at all. He wished he could think over these questions more, but he did not want to test this time limit and potentially be stuck with taking none of the items.

He also became aware that President Roosevelt was calling for assistance. So he decided to grab the map, and waited for a moment to see what would happen.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

User avatar
The Monsterworks
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Canada, for now

The Weathered Isle

Post by The Monsterworks » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Meichuo

Meichuo opens her eyes. Everything hurts, but probably not as much as it could've. A couple of minutes have passed, and Admiral Yi is leaning over her. In the air above the figurine, it now says, "Synchronizing Early-Modern Korean". Slowly, Meichuo rises to her feet. "I should go and tell the others about this." Then she gets an idea. This just may all have been worth it. "Say something to me in Korean. Can you?"

Alonso

Alonso wastes no time clambering into the boat and pushing off. He has rowed many times before in his life and he's pretty confident that he can reach the island before long. Still, this is an eerie place, so he keeps a careful eye on the shore and on the tower in particular and it looms larger in his field of view.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)


The Monsterworks: 141 - 42 (.770) ...Probably up to no good.

Mole55
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The Weathered Isle

Post by Mole55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:15 pm

(OOC: home invasion? Julie don't give a shit)

Julie decides to get the nearest branch, and crowbar the iron grating off

Post Reply