Seasong: The Waves, They Will Rise

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:18 am

Jack Smith

"Come to join us there, Jack?" asks one of the men by the fire. Ethan, Jack remembers. That's his name. Jack nods good-naturedly.

"We was juss wondrin' boutcha," says another - a wiry man with a baseball cap two sizes too big and a shortage of teeth. "gots tuh thinking you was juss goan stick aroun here."

"You ever plan on packing?" Asks Ethan.

In the distance, the strange light grows in intensity, then flickers, and then suddenly disappears altogether.

<hr />

Tibrus Siblings

The little man all but rolls his eyes. Even his moustache seems to droop with a uniquely Gallic variant of world-weary exasperation. He glances over at the paper. "I ave no doubt, monsieur, zat your friend said ee would be ere, but perhaps he az changed eez mind, est-ce possible? Do you at least ave a..." He seems to be searching for a word in English, before giving up rather easily. "nom de famille for zis 'Rhex'?"

Mathias tries not to let the frustration show, but he lets out a breath as more of a huff. Then, he catches movement in his peripheral. A fairly large, well-mustachioed man in his early forties, dressed in fine clothes that look just a little bit worn, is walking towards him, wearing something like uncertainty on his face. Mathias can see his two siblings watching the man as well. They need to discern if he's friend or foe quickly.
Last edited by The Monsterworks on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

sapp2013

Post by sapp2013 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:34 am

Mathias - just gonna step aside and let him do his business. maybe I can catch a bit of information if he decides to speak. If he says his name is rex, do the 'wave at throat so he knows not to say anything' motion at the desk person.

Maria - just gonna go down and tie my shoe. but not actually because my shoes are always tied. but have my hand on my mini pistol under my pants strapped to my leg. maybe untie my shoe and retie it if he takes awhile.

Mychal - that guy is definitely either rex or our target. I'm just gonna go to the elevator and place a mic somewhere in there then go to the third floor and place a camera that can view most if not all of the rooms. then take the stairs down. A man of that size, age, and possible importance will not want to take the stairs with luggage.

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:19 am

Tibrus Siblings

Mathias

The man smiles, his face lighting up with a very good imitation of friendly recognition. "Joey&#33;" He says, holding out his hand, "It's good to see ya&#33; Didn't recognize me with the mustache, huh?"

This could only be Rex, he deduces. Or else somebody trying to hijack our meeting. Mathias jerks a thumb at the receptionist, willing to play along but still questioning. "Well, this helpful guy told me you weren't staying here."

The two of them shake hands.

"Well that's because I'm not, old chap. Decided to switch things up and stay at the Belmont, down on Fourth and Ridgeway. I tried to call, but couldn't get a hold of yuh."

"I, uh, try not to be so easy to reach."

Rex nods. "Hey Francois, can you get my friend here a suite on the third?"

Mathias doubts that the receptionist's name is actually Francois, and the receptionist seems to share that conviction. "Unfortunatlee, we do not ave anysing on zat floor availabool at zis momante."

"Well, it's not a big deal," says Rex. "Any floor'll do." He plunks a wad of Wall Dollars on the table and 'Francois' fills out a form. He hands the pen to Rex, non-writing end first, as if it's a knife. "Sign eere, sil-vous plait." Rex adds a quick scribble, and receives a key in return. "Fifs flooor." He pauses and pulls a cigar case out of his pocket before pulling an expensive cigar out of the case. "Travelling light, I assume?"

"You know I always do."

"Good man, but let's take the elevator anyhow." Belatedly, he offers a cigar to Mathias. "It's like burning money," he jokes. "Tastes surprisingly good."

In the name of distraction, Mathias takes him up on the offer. "Thanks," he grunts, "need a light, though." While Rex pulls out a lighter, he signals Maria almost imperceptibly quickly, "five" in the code language that they've invented. He notices the elevator ascending to the third floor and stopping. Shit. I guess not everything can go according to plan.

Finally, he manages to light up the cigar, while Rex presses the elevator call button. They wait around for about thirty seconds, Mathias and Maria avoiding any sort of eye contact, until the elevator comes. Then they step in.

Maria

Upon seeing her older brother decide to play along, Maria eases up. She gets the sense that somebody is staring at her. She shifts coldly away. Mychal disappears into the elevator with his bag, just a guest going up to his room - and bugging the elevator while he's at it. Then, there's Mathias' conversation with 'Rex' - No way that's his real name - to keep an eye on, until they're close. She sits at a booth, pretending to read a newspaper and working slowly on a glass of wine. She makes only the slightest movement upon receiving Mathias' signal. Change of plans. Fifth floor. She'll have to catch up with Mychal and apprise him of the altered parameters. Her brother and the contact disappear into the elevator. Then, she notices a pair of eyes upon her: a large, muscular man, maybe about thirty, in a booth just across the dance floor.

Mychal

Everything goes well, swimmingly well. Mychal gets the bog in the elevator and makes it to the third floor. A pair of drunken women walk by him, smoking cigarettes suggestively and looking at him with hungry eyes. Then the look at each other and break out laughing. He waits until they're gone, and keeps an eye out for any further intrusions. He has a camera to set up.
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:11 am

Molly really wasn't particularly a fan of social gatherings... she certainly liked the principle of them well enough but was all to familiar with the reality of them when your brain isn't really wired for it. That being said.... if this was going to be discussing science, that was something she could at least listen in to, and as it was a group at least there was a good chance she wouldn't actually need to say a lot....

"Errr... sure.... why not? This theory of Marlow's sounds like it could be interesting..."

She has a quick look round to make sure nothing important is going to get damp in her absence and grabs her back ready to leave...

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:01 am

Left&#33;
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:31 am

Larry rubs eyes. The dream is already becoming hazy and disconnected in his mind but it's still making him feel uneasy. He isn't sure if taking up Russel on his offer is a good idea, but right now it's the only thing he can think of to stop him sitting around obsessing over this crazy fucking dream.

He takes a long, slow slip of the coffee where he pretends to be giving deep thought to the offer. He forces half a smile.

"You should know I'm definitely up for it." Another sip of coffee. "Yeah, count me in."
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Cha0sFerret

Post by Cha0sFerret » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 am

Pack? It's not like I have much to bring with me. All I've got to worry about is my hook. I tug the string of my backpack with one hand and give Ethan a thumbs-up with the other. I didn't come over to him for small-talk, though.

The light gets stronger yet... and then vanishes suddenly. Strange. I look and point where the light was. Maybe it'll come back.
poopity scoop

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Adahy sighs and begins the short trek back to his shelter, a sturdy lean-to made of of sticks, leaves, and mud. He came out here to escape people, not to live right next to them. Nevertheless, he will not bother them until they give him a reason to. For now, Adahy will sleep. In the morning, he will begin working on traps for bigger game...just in case.
Last edited by Toxic on Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:22 pm

"Ulysses Walk... will dance&#33;"

challenge accepted

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Molly Rivers

Just as they're leaving, Molly could swear that she heard a noise in the ductwork above her 'office'. Fabio glances up as well. "Rats," he chuckles nervously.

Awful big rats, Molly thinks, but she doesn't say much of anything. She just nods in agreement and flashes what has to be the most awkward smile Fabio has ever seen.

Molly closes and locks the door behind the two of them, and they start walking down the hallway. "I figured we might walk there," Fabio provides. "It's short, and these kinds of discussions are best fueled by a couple of drinks."

"Erm..." Molly nods.

Fabio turns halfway around and smiles, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket. "So anyway, seems old Dr. Marlowe was called in to testify in front of the committee. You know the committee, right?"

But who doesn't? They've appointed themselves to decide whether to ship us all off to the colonies or not, even though things aren't any better over there. Molly nods. "Y...yes, of course."

"Well, he's head of sciences, but he's mostly marine bio, like me, so we keep in touch." Fabio pushes open a door and then they're outside of the university hallways, in the big open sections at the border between Falmouth and Livorno. A couple of roadways snake past them into the distance, and the lights of the Meancat burn about a block away. "Anyway, apparently, he presented a theory about the supposed attacks on shipping and was summarily disregarded. Left in a huff. Threw his research at some poor orderly."

"Oh...oh my."

The pair of young academics reach the entrance to the Meancat, and Karl Gustafsson is waiting outside, deep into a cigarette. The weathered-looking Swede smiles and shakes Fabio's hand. "Fab, good to see you." He looks at Molly for a moment. "I don't think we've met."

Fabio shoots him a funny look. "Forgetting her so soon? This is Molly, Molly Rivers, who worked on those bouys for us back in April."

"Ah, ah right&#33;" he exclaims through his cigarette. "I'm Karl, pleasure to meet you...uh, again."

Molly begins wondering if this was a good idea. From what she can discern, the Meancat does not look like the sort of place where you go to find a little nook, have a beer or two with some associates, and discuss the finer points of your research. Perhaps, Karl notices her apprehension. He makes a knowing face. Fabio nods sadly. "Yeah," he confirms, "It's a shit show in there, New management, and they're turning it into a club. All the drunk undergrads and party types now."

Well that's unfortunate, Molly thinks. She was rather fond of the Meancat. It was the sort of place where one could always find a little spot and not be bothered. The music was never intrusive, and it was nice listening in on some of the discussions that people would have.

"Anyway," Karl announces, "the others are in one of the booths, kinda to the left of the bar in that raised seating area. Last I checked, that Dutch guy - you know the one who performed at the New Year's special? was lighting up the dance floor and had a pretty big crowd. I think your brother's angling in to challenge him."

"Oh geez," Fabio replies, scratching at the back of his head. "Nic's got some moves and all, but he's gonna embarrass himself."

"Well, you should go stop him."

"Marigold around?"

Marigold&#33; That name rings a bell. Linguistics student. She approached me about the feasibility of a universal translator a couple of weeks ago. Smart girl. It's on my to-do list.

In any event, Karl shakes his head. "She's up at the lighthouse. Remember?"

Molly's already pushing the door open. The noise and light is almost overwhelming. This is definitely not what I signed up for.

"Oh yeah, shit," says Fabio. "That's a horrible job, 'specially on a night like this."

Then, he follows her and the two of them are inside. They weave through tables until they can see the raised platform. Fabio stands on his tip toes to try to see above the crowd, and notices that it's too late: the Flying Dutchman seems to have accepted the dance off. Fabio cringes. "I might have to go deal with that once we get seated." They continue, and they're just passing the bar, when an older man - a relic of the days when this was a quiet academic pub - comes stumbling out of the washroom and pushes past them. Molly and Fabio look at each other, astonished. It's Dr. Phineas Marlowe, and by the look of him, he's aggressively inebriated. Perhaps they should go and do something.

<hr />

Crazy Zane

Recollecting his wits, Zane scrambles left, and soon finds himself on an incline. These pipes are a tight squeeze for a man of his size, and more than once, the bottom flexes under his weight. Fuck. There's another bend. Zane decides to just stick with his prior strategy and go left again. He ends up sliding downwards, picking up speed. Before long, he finds that he can slow himself, but it's virtually impossible to stop. The shaft curves, and its almost like one of those slides you see kids on and stuff.

He keeps going until he's spat out in a dim room with one flickering lightbulb. He takes a step forward and almost ends up plummeting to his death. There's a ladder leading down, but not up. Zane figures 'what the hell' and takes it. periodically, there are small lights, but about half of them are burnt out. He keeps descending. He could end up in a really interesting place. His feet touch down on cold, hard stone - though it doesn't feel like stone. There are lights, really weird ones: long and straight, and when he decides to try to smash one, his bar goes right through it. The fuck is this place?

Eventually, Zane finds another shaft and sees if it won't lead him somewhere. He's in the process of clambering through it when suddenly, it drops. Ouch coming&#33;

Zane hits the bottom of the shaft, and the thin metal gives way. Barely slowed, he crashes to the floor, and his ass hurts like hell. It is perfectly dark and cold, but that's not what gets Zane's attention. There is a quick intake of breath somewhere near him. He's not alone.

<hr />
Last edited by The Monsterworks on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Larry Walker

Larry needs to get away from New Chicago. That stupid dream. He remembers the floods. Everybody who lives here remembers them, but it's not like they happened that fast. Still, there's no future here. The crowds are leaving and Michigan keeps rising. First rat off the sinking ship, eh Larry? He doesn't remember the name of the girl who said it. She was just some hussy that he ran a racket with a few months back, but it's fitting. He doesn't care, or rather, he does. He doesn't wanna stick around to the bitter end and watch his city disappear under the waves - especially not when there's money to be made, excitement and opportunity somewhere else. Hell, I've always wanted to see The Wall.

He spends the rest of the evening in a rather pensive and unusually charitable mood. He walks the new boardwalk - the waters are already gently lapping over its edges here and there - and drops a fiver in the old one-eyed beggar's cup. He plays cards - a more or less honest game - with Russel and Jane. They've been good associates. He has a few drinks, but maybe not so many, and gets all of his contact details and everything else he needs from Russel. By the time that he goes to bed, he's packed his entire life into a couple of suitcases.

That night is - thankfully - dreamless, and he awakes in the morning with a tense sort of anticipation fluttering in his stomach. He hops in a cab, and is about to say 'station', when he thinks of his mom. Should he go say goodbye, or should he try to get her out of this place too? Maybe it'd be better if he just told he'd be gone for a bit. Maybe if he just goes to the station. For a moment, Larry's seized by indecision.

<hr />

Jack Smith

Jack points to where the light was, but for something so bright and distinct, it doesn't reappear. Toothless looks at him for a moment, wondering if there's something the matter with him, but Ethan furrows his brow.

"There was a light," he says tentatively, "right?"

Jack nods.

"Probably someone up there. Think it's worth checking out?"

<hr />

Adahy

Adahy will deal with whatever these encroachers bring tomorrow. One way or another, it seems as if his days of peace and solitude are numbered, and he will have decisions to make soon. For the time being, he saunters back to his dwelling, and falls fast asleep before long.

<hr />

Ulysses Walk

With the sort of flair that confidence brings, Ulysses accepts the challenge, and motions for his challenger to make the first move. The slick Italian begins conservatively enough, but quickly breaks into a moonwalk and incorporates something like trapping into his routine when the beat shifts a bit. How unorthodox, Ulysses thinks, But good. He's good. I'm digging it. For a moment he considers whether he'll respond with something equally unorthodox or whether he'll just dazzle them with sheer technical brilliance.

<hr />
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Post by Madman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:24 pm

((I decided to title each of my two characters like you do. Is that alright?))

Kayla

Kayla stops and gathers her courage. One box of that stuff will feed the family for a week, and it's not as if relying on charity has worked so well for mom. She releases a breath she didn't realize she was holding, and flips up her hood to hide the bright red hair that clearly marks her as a colonist. As smooth and slippery as a shadow in the night, she slinks towards the cannery. She can hear a large delivery van idling outside, as well as voices and lights. She waits for Emma's distraction.

Emma

Emma pauses for a second, trying to build up a wall of apathy. I don't need this. Not now. I can't leave the kid hanging. Belatedly, she notices that both men are colonists, and the woman is a sister of the land. Emma ducks her head in through the door. It's about 75% people of the land inside. "Two colonists attacking one of ours outside&#33;" She shouts, quickly ducking back out and hustling away. She has a promise to keep, and a box of that stuff could feed her and the other strays for quite a while.
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:48 pm

Larry titled his head back and closed his eyes. He didn't want to leave her here, god knew she did the best she could after they lost Dad; but he knew she would want to leave no matter what he told her. He looked at his watch. Well. There would be enough time to stop by and say some kind of goodbye, even if it wasn't a REAL goodbye.

Yeah sure, his mind spoke up in sarcastic tone. Go on over and tell you're leaving for awhile and see what happens. Hell I'll tell you now&#33; She'll keep ignoring what you're trying to tell her. She doesn't want here about what's wrong or why staying in New Chicago is no good. No, she'll want to know 'why haven't you settled down with a nice girl Larry?' and 'you're so smart Larry, why haven't you gotten a good, honest job like your father used to have?' and most likely 'Why don't we go to the Cubs game Larry? You used to love going to the ballpark. A good day away from those shady people you deal with would do you a lot of good&#33;' And you better believe that no matter how much you protest you WILL end up there in the right outfield bleachers just like always behind the fake ivy because they can't get the real shit to grow any more.

Yes, it would probably play out like that almost to a T. He loved his mother, but she wouldn't (or maybe couldn't) acknowledge the problems. And worse, she might even be able to talk him out of it entirely. It wasn't worth the risk.

So Larry made one of the most difficult choices in his life up to that point and decided he had to leave without saying goodbye.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:49 pm

For my next moves, I will remain firmly in the box, and pull off a perfect execution&#33;

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Molly doesn't relish the thought at all, but looks for a quieter corner to get Fabio to steer Marlowe to. The place is changed up a bit, but perhaps there is a menu around here somewhere that might have something on it to dull the edge of the alcohol a bit? Obviously whatever Marlowe had proposed was some fairly audacious thinking, and even if it turned out to be false, there could certainly be value in that later.