The Skybroken Shore

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:31 am

As no one has raised any objections, the group goes to investigate whatever has attracted the attention of the gore-crows.

They don't have to travel far.

Almost immediately after they cross the next rise, the source of the noise becomes apparent - a dozen of the crows are perched in a large larch tree, pecking at a large mass that even at this distance is unmissable. The remains of the largest boar the group has ever seen dangle limply from the branches - the kind of creature that their own hunters would leave well alone because the risk wouldn't be worth it. Yet here it lies, twenty foot off the ground as if put their fairly casually. Both whatever put it there - Yrthi or otherwise - and the gore-crows have been feeding around it, and when a gore-crow knocks a scrap of meat from the tree to the ground beneath, a wood-fox scurries out of the undergrowth to snatch it up.

The fact that one being could have the power to kill this pig and hoist it into the tree gives chills to the group - but another decision is now before them: there is still plenty of meat on the boar - and that meat could certainly be used by them and the village - maybe two weeks worth for each of them or 4 days for the entire village. But taking the time to get the boar down brings them no closer to finding the caravan, which is what will let them survive in the longer term. There is also the more pressing concern that whatever killed this colossal beast must be near, and staying may risk either an encounter with it directly, or risking its wrath when it discovers its food has been stolen...

(Quick OOC note: Just for future reference, I feel this is the kind of story where keeping the pacing going is fairly important for tension reasons so if you guys are happy to do so where you guys suggest your choices rather than state them, I'm intending to run the choices democratically - eg. where someone phrases something along the lines of "I think we should" the party will do what the majority says, even if one person doesn't reply or says "I think we should do something else" - it keeps the story moving better. This is not the same as if you say "I will do something" in contradiction to the rest of the party - in that case you will do your separate thing, which is totally fine - the key is that decisions are made so I can update on them.)

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:19 am

Granite looks for clues as to how that boar arrived there. He creates some body armour and carefully moves closer.
Last edited by MadBull on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:39 am

As Granite approaches the gore-crows stop screaming at each other and eye him suspiciously. As he searches the area a few things of note get his attention:

- There appears to be a second set of the presumptive Yrthi footsteps, a little smaller, and the both of them circle around the tree - perhaps while man-handling the boar up there.

- Now closer, Granite can see the boar itself has been skewered through with a large branch to aid its balance in the larch - it is crudely cut - maybe indicating that the possible Yrthi is only a primitive creature in terms of tool-use.

- The skewering does not appear to be what killed it though - that would appear to be the fact that one side of its head has been crushed by something hard. His own geomancy powers can detect enough residue in the would to suggest it was probably a large rock -at the least the diameter of a dinner plate impacted with considerable force, though whether used on its own, thrown or as part of some weapon he doesn't have enough evidence to say.

- Although one was destroyed by that killing blow, one of the tusks is still intact. It's a fine thing with a wicked curve and a nice grain that could probably be turned into a nasty dagger, spearpoint or some other tool or weapon, or sold at a high price for carving - if you ever see someone to sell it to again...

- Some amount of the pelt also looks salvageable, possibly enough for each of the three of you to have something made out of it.
Last edited by Alexjh on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:55 pm

discuss your findings with the team, in particular, Granite discusses what could be done with the salvageable items, I myself mostly feeling like continuing our mission regarding the caravan.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:56 pm

"Aye, I think it'd be a good idea t' move on too... Though mebbe we can get a bit 'o meat off'n it without too much trouble."
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:52 pm

"Get meat off it, get that tusk of it, and move onward! That's what I say!"

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Granite manages to dislodge the boar for the tree, and it hits the ground with a very substantial thud that echoes through the valley - the noise sending the Gore-crows scattering and an uneasy quiet descends on the scene. The fact the crows have gone however is something of a mixed blessing - though you are now free of their raucous calls you no longer have an extra dozen pairs of eyes watching for danger and you work quickly, with the unpleasant feeling something is watching you from the woods. However, the time passes without incident and the group gathers up the meat and the undamaged tusk and heads of out without any sign of danger, though the feeling persists even as you rejoin the road.

You make good progress through the forests and make camp fairly late, and have your evening rations and alternate between sleep and keeping watch, but the forest feels as if it is watching you still, and one of the strange calls you had been hearing from the village echoes through the slopes, and there is the unsettling feeling that it may be the great beast discovering it has been robbed of it's dinner. You put the thought aside for now and the group gets through the night without incident.

Day 2: -1 rations each

The next morning the whether that greets you is heavy hails that beats down on you mercilessly as you travel, with even the trees offering little shelter from the constant pounding. However, even through this, the sight that meets you as you cross through the next pass is troubling - black smoke rises from what should be Finnigan's Reach. The Reach is the stopping point for the caravan between Grimcove and Porthcollen - an old wooden bridge over the tempestuous River Garrengott accompanied by an even older stone tower that gives a defensive view of the surroundings due to it's position on a sharp bow in the river. Normally an armed guard is stationed there to maintain the place and prevent beasts or raiders moving in. Nothing can be seen at this point however and there is nothing to do but continue towards it.

As you reach the edge of the clearing, you get a view of where the smoke is coming from; it would seem that a section of the bridge gas burnt down, and though the two thirds of it on your end are still seemingly intact, the last section before the tower on the far bank is little but a smouldering charcoal skeleton of what it once was. The river is seemingly running high - no doubt the product of this long winter, and wading across would be very difficult.

What is stranger though is the tower itself - the door of the tower is flapping back and forth in the wind noisily, and there is no sign of anyone about - surely the guard would keep that door closed to keep the wind out? Something has happened here, and it doesn't look good...

With all of the party having some degree of competency with geography, you are aware of a ford further up the river, but that will add a day to your travels to find the caravan. The alternative here though is to find some way across the river to try and find out what has happened on the other side.

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:53 pm

"well fuck mates, that's not good. we'll prob'ly need this repaired for the caravan, e'en if not for ourselves" Riain says while inspecting the bridge, seeing if the other two sections are safe, and if he can maybe salvage something to bridge the gap on the far end.
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Cha0sFerret

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Cha0sFerret » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:04 pm

"Granite, mate, ya think you might be able to use your stone magic to fill the gap for us?"
poopity scoop

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:11 am

"I was thinking the exact same thing!"

Alex, can I easily make a construction to act as a bridge? If so I will.

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:28 am

Granite cannot entirely accurately gauge how his magic will do at repairing the bridge with his powers - while he could certainly raise some stones to complete the bridge, with it being through a strong torrent of water, just raising a line of big stones to cross might cause unforseen consequences in the river flow. Additionally, it's a big job and will likely drain his magic for the day, so he will have to come up with a design for what this crossing will be like - he will only get one chance today...

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:52 pm

use my stoneworking skills to not just make something bridgy but make something durable and bridgy! and then hide behind the mustotts whenever we'll have to fight something while my powers are drained :P

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:25 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>[23:34:00] Alex Holt: are you basically making a wall through the river?
[23:34:09] Martijn Benschop: yeah lets go with that[/quote]

The three approach the end of the surviving section of the bridge cautiously - even though it is still standing the wood is crisped and blackened from the fire and a few of the slats look like they could give way at the slightest pressure. But, slowly but surely, they come to the end of the remains. The river roils beneath and ahead of them, only two foot from the underside of the bridge and is thick and white as it crashes over the stony riverbed. To fall into that would risk getting whisked down the river in seconds, away from the group and dashed against the great boulders that lie just beneath the surface.

Granite reaches out for the stone with his mind - extending his magic through the waters and into the rock beneath... and pushes upwards. This is a large quantity of stone he is moving, and the forces pushing against him are greater than anything he has ever experienced before in this, but he aims for simple forms and they hold.

But something is wrong here they realise... by taking one third of an already rapid and swollen river and blocking off a third of it, suddenly they have altered the current substantially - forcing the river through a smaller gap, forcing it to rise and quicken. Granite feels it in the river bed before he can react: a huge boulder beneath the water a few meters upstream is knocked loose of its resting place by the increased surge and it slams into one of the remaining middle posts of the original wooden bridge with a mighty impact, sending shockwaves through the entire structure. Riain is more agile that the other two and makes a clear jump from the old wooden structure to the safety of the new stone section, managing to get purchase on the wet stone. Oskar is only slightly behind him - though his reactions weren't quite as sharp and he impact the edge of the stone bridge with a thud, but managed to gain purchase with the help of his dextrous tail, and scrabbles up to safety despite the slipperiness of the wet rock.

Granite wasn't so fortunate however, much less agile than the two Mustott and without their species innate agility, the impact causes him to step backward suddenly to gain his balance and he crashes through one of the weakened planks into the churning torrent below. Riain and Oskar look frantically in the water for a sign of the little Tortasi. Fortunately for Granite, his own natural advantages protect him somewhat - a good gulp of air as he falls and the Tortasi ability to hold his breath for prolonged periods at least mean he feels in no danger of drowning, and even as he is swept downstream, his tough hide protect him from the impacts of the rocks hidden beneath the crashing waters. He still grasps out wildly though, trying to stop his movement, and his hands grab at a rock only for it to slip through his fingers due to the slick algae that coats it.... another twenty meters in a few seconds and he gets another chance, hitting this one directly and winding him slightly, but at least allowing him to get a good purchase....

Oskar and Riain have run down the shore on the far bank, trying to catch sight of the Tortasi as he clings for his life - claws digging into the rock... as quickly as they can manage they tie their ropes into a long noose and throw it into the river for him to grab on to. It takes four attempts that seem to take forever, but eventually he manages to grab on, and the two Mustott pull him out of the torrent. Even as he climbs out though he feels a pain on his right hand side and has a sudden horrible feeling he has cracked a rib on the way down.... nothing that can be done about it now though, he needs to warm up, and just ahead lies the tower of Finnigan's reach... a perfect resting point.

As they approach the front gate however, they can definitely tell something isn't right here... there is a mournful whimpering coming from inside, but the door is swinging open in the cold wind and all the fires are out, and on the doorstep a thin stream of blood has followed the stones and pooled outside... staining the snow pink. Several sets of heavy footprints seem to enter, but none leave the tower and as they approach the front door, somewhere in the gloom inside, the whimpering turns to a low growl of something large, powerful and not pleased to have company...

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Riain draws both knives, the work knife in his right (non-dominant) hand if they're hostile or weak, they'll be in for a surprise...still, injured party member, and I'm sure Oskar's head's a bit messed up from that impact...not that he really needs his head

"Ay, who goes there?" he yells, safely away from the door, with a few possible escape routes open to him - including climbing the outside of the tower itself, if absolutely necessary
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:33 am

The growling continues - it sounds like whatever it is is probably an animal rather than one of the peoples.