Hati vs. Dragonfist (ROBOT3 MW Week 5)

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Hati vs. Dragonfist (ROBOT3 MW Week 5)

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:25 am

Hati: 8/7/3/0/12

Dragonfist: 3/1/1/16/9

CONFIGS: Shield config, with the UHMW block ON.

Dragonfist’s got flails, so she can just keep hitting me without worrying about being knocked back or smothered, right? WRONG!

Box rush at the start and see if I can stop her from getting out of the corner. After that, stay on the attack but approach cautiously at low closing speeds, and aim to MISS her central chassis and advance against the motion of the flails so they hit my wedge straight-on and skip up into the UHMW plate. Pay attention to which way her srimech pole’s pointing: if it’s to either side she’s probably about to dart to one side. Try to either bait this out early or veer further to my right (she spins clockwise, she’ll have to go that way if she wants a corner hit on the plate).

Flails aren’t rigidly connected to the shell but they STILL TAKE ENERGY OUT OF IT WHEN THEY HIT THINGS. And hitting a steeply-angled plate of soft, super-tough plastic with her enormous blunt spherical flails? (the spikes can dig in but not really tear stuff since the flails are free to twist around on their chains) That’ll absorb a LOT of energy at minimal risk to me. Get the things slowed to the point where they can’t hurt or deflect me, then rush in and attack the chassis. Force her to the walls or corners.

Once I stop her once, go full smother mode. Take her into the corners, wait out the pin timer, then back off enough that her chassis can move and therefore I’m no longer pinning, but she doesn’t have room to spin up without the flails hitting the walls or me. If the refs whine, back off just enough to let her start spinning, but as soon as she does rush back in. Back out at 45 degrees to the wall to minimize her space to escape. Do this all match, and don’t give her any chances to demonstrate aggression or control of the match.

Even if she catches the edge of the plastic plate or otherwise damages it enough to tear it off, there’s a double-angled steel plow behind it that keeps my wheels safe and can still nope her flails. Use pretty much the same strategy, but now taking into account that her flails might bounce a bit more.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Re: Hati vs. Dragonfist (ROBOT3 MW Week 5)

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:28 pm

HELLO YES I AM ROCKET AGAIN

Expected drive advantages and disadvantages. notably I deal 4 damage to him, which is not an insignificant number. the problem for me is getting up to a speed where I can deal that damage. To deal with that, I need to use my pinballing tendencies to my advantage: I have literally no traction dude: I'm going to go flying when he rams me, and that will make it very hard for him to pin me.

Start in the far left of my corner, and don't attempt to escape the box rush, other than moving such that my shell is what eats the wedge head-on (not the flails). I want to have the best chance of getting rebounded well out of the square.

Keep up that pinball: I WANT us to be engaging directly next to walls and corners when I'm not at full speed. I might not have full control of my robot, but he won't have a clue where I'm going either, and sooner or later I'm going to hit that rebound that gets me cross-arena and lets me start getting up to speed more. once I'm closer to top speed, I can start trying to bait him with the flails, if he's trying to go for them: try and get corner hits with the shell to fling us both away (trying to get it so I rebound to an area far away from him, or the center of the arena), in order to build up the last bit of speed I need to get to full.

Once I get to top speed, the UHMW blocker becomes a huge mistake. Go back to trying to eat hits with the shell, not the flails (do this by threatening a corner hit if he goes after the flails first). When I ride up on his wedge with the main shell, it's gonna put me at an angle that lets the flail wrap around the back of that thing and take a big ol chunk out of it. my 1 goal when we engage is to have my wheels perpendicular to him, so I can ensure that he's not able to properly angle into the direction of my spinner to eat the flail hit: I want him to hit my shell: this is what will let me get the reach-around.

other things I can look to flail snipe include his wheels (hey look, I deal 4 damage, that's enough to one shot a wheel, and I have HELLA reach!), and the back corners of his wedge - I hit both of these the same way I hit the back of the UHMW blocker: it'll happen if he goes straight for my center instead of angling into the rotation of my shell.

in general, I expect to be "losing" for about 2 minutes, but then eventually get in a lucky shot on his wheels because he has no KO power and has to live 3 minutes in the arena with a robot designed to snipe his wheels and get in behind his blocker and corner damage it. My goal with the early strategy is to be losing purposefully: trying to gain space and value while on the back foot against an opponent who can't KO me. ALSO: keep in mind that if I'm not at top speed for most of the match, I'm probably not dealing much self-damage to my weapons system, so hopefully my weapon:weapon armor ratio doesn't really come up.