Robots 3 LW WK2: Madscience vs Flipcake

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

British-Robotics

Robots 3 LW WK2: Madscience vs Flipcake

Post by British-Robotics » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:34 am

Flipcake: 7/6/2/3/10 (Frontal Flipper +2)
Madscience: 16/1+5/1/2(1/1/1)/10(+2 teeth)

Right from the get go, I need to immediately try and kill off the spinning weapon or himself spinning up by box rushing towards Science head on and try to kill off the momentum, if I manage to get under him then I'll lift him off the ground and allow his weapon to hopefully hit the arena floor if he's flipped over.

I don't want to give him enough time to reach his full potential, slam him against the arena walls, flip him to hit the arena floor, throw the kitchen sink and stay completely aggressive the whole fight.

Good luck and may the best robot win.

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Robots 3 LW WK2: Madscience vs Flipcake

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:29 pm

MADSCIENCE: 16/1+5/1/2 (1/1/1)/ 10 (+2 teeth)

Flipcake: 7/6/2/3/10 (+2 plow)

TBR can't flank this. :P

Honestly, that means he'll probably just go for traditional brick tactics against me, which is to say he'll try to break my fist with his face, smothering and flipping all match long. That's good in theory, but melties get a LOT of bite, creating a pretty big distance to close post-hit, and the melty spin-up buff means that I spin up insanely fast (like, 1.5 seconds). Worse comes to worst, if I'm pointed in a safe direction, just drive for a split second, going god knows where, to give me some space to spin up. That's last resort only, though.

There's a chance he could be standoffish and go for an OOTA, but his flipper's borderline for that and TBR has to know it. In that case, chase him down aggressively and avoid the OOTA wall. Otherwise, the main plan is just to use my rapid spin-up time and ricochet distance to avoid being smothered and to keep delivering hits. Each one might not have knockout potential on its own, but 4 direct damage and 4 shock is still significant, and I should be able to KEEP delivering them and stacking up damage on him. Importantly, if he can't close me down, he can't establish match control and, since I'm a full-body weapon, he can't fire his flipper into anything but my moving 'weapon', which will give me free corner damage that I otherwise wouldn't be getting. 4 corner damage is serious business, and can disable his weapon in only a hit or two.

Basically, his catch twenty-two is this: if he wants to be using his weapon, he'll have to risk losing his weapon and taking serious damage in general. If he opts to just try to smother before using it, he's going to have a helluva time trying to smother something that creates distance and spins up extremely quickly. His drivetrain is good, but it's not the Hellhound-level drivetrain needed for something like that. I can also make things harder for him by trying not to engage as much near walls and by strafing to the side at the last second. It's slow, but it'll throw off his aim a bit, and my fire whirlwind will also obscure that. Finally, if I ever AM stuck on his wedge, fire the punching bar to jar myself free. That's what it's there for.

Overall, I know I don't have a glamorous plan here, but I'm going to try using the melty-brain buff in the way that it was intended and test if it works.

Good luck, TBR.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!