Jackal VS Scion

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Jackal VS Scion

Post by GF93 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Regular Setup.
______
STAT COMPARISON
Scion
Speed: 9
Traction: 7
Torque: 4
Weapon: 0 (Overhead Torque-Reaction Spike and Front Scoop)
Armour: 10 (+3 to centre)

Jackal
Speed: 6
Traction: 5
Torque: 4
Weapon: 3 (Lifting Scoop and Overhead Bar)
Armour: 12
______
This guy’s fast as fuck, packing a nasty Overhead spike and matches me for torque, so it’s going to come down a lot to driving skill. I have things going for me; my weapons are more versatile with the ability to wedge press (which he can’t), clamp down on his body and block his spike, and potentially flip him, which doing even once will take away most of his offensive potential due to neither his spike or scoop working properly. Whilst I am slower, it’s not an insurmountable problem; I still reach my top speed more-or-less immediately, and my traction, manoeuvrability and ability to stay in control are better, so as long as I'm able to watch what he does, act accordingly then follow up, I'll still be more than capable of fighting.

Move out quickly, stay laser-focused on him and where he’s coming from and headed towards, and take the fight to him. Predominantly aim for where he’s going rather then where he is, keep the front to him and press it down slightly as we approach, and drop the top bar the moment I see him beginning to either swing over or go up the wedge to clamp/flip him. If he makes a move for my sides, feint dodging in one direction and immediately floor it in the opposite when he starts to go there – mix it up later with going the first way instead as well – and then counterattack. If he charges me approximately head-on, angle myself towards his front, press down the wedge slightly and reverse to catch and then flip/clamp him. Aim for the sides/corners of his wedge to maximise the chances of getting underneath, but if he gets under me, don’t panic. Steer off in any possible direction to avoid being slammed or pinned, and always leave myself plenty of room to move about in and at least two potential escape routes to fall back onto if needed. In a head-on collision, press and shove back against him, then move with him afterward.

Don’t just wait to react to him, though; come after him myself to force him onto the back foot, and limit his movement to near the walls/hazards to take away his biggest advantage. Very importantly as well, flip him over ASAP however I can; the bar and the IED will be my best bets for doing so, but if I can pin him against the wall, the scoop is another option. Keep underneath and clamping for as much as possible, squash him into the walls for the maximum limit each time to wear down the clock, stop him righting himself, cut off any potential escape routes, chase him down if he runs away, and if he tries any monster-trucking, move with him and use the scoop/clamps to catch him out. Be unpredictable, protect my back/sides, avoid the walls/hazards when not using them myself, self-right and escape immediately if flipped, keep a cool head, and never give up!

Good luck!

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Re: Jackal VS Scion

Post by Venice Queen » Sat May 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Jackal: Speed: 6 / Traction: 5 / Torque: 4 / Weapon: 3 / Armor: 12

Scion: Speed: 9 / Traction: 7 / Torque: 4 / Weapon: 0 / Armor: 10 (+3 to the middle of the wedge (disincluding the side shields)), forks OFF

forks off because I'll either be angling in or engaging when he's not pressing, so I'd rather have a wider available wedging surface. obvious drivetrain advantage is obvious, his wincon is also obvious since I'm not invertable and everything in this arena inverts me. fortunately the mini-IEDs mean that I can always self right using the arena, but I'd rather avoid wasting that time.

despite being way faster, I don't really want to be balls to the walls aggressive here. I'm not out to try and lose the aggression category, but he does have the lifter, so it's in my corner to force an opening, since I want to try and never get flipped.

If I'm seeing a lot of pressing, he has forks: all the lifter weight is on those forks. engage anywhere that isn't the forks (angle in, off-center, etc.) to win.

If I'm not seeing pressing, he's baiting me, because he's not nearly dumb enough to think his wedge is better not pressing. most likely he's going to try and angle in, hoping my suboptimal traction ratio will force a mistake. so, I'll either angle in, j-hook as he moves to me, or stutter engage (start-stop-then go in: potentially stuttering more than once, and occasionally just going in headlong without stuttering in order to keep the gambit effective) he could also press last minute though, so just counter-angle the first few times and let him play his hand a bit.

If he's doing a LOT of manuevering, I can start to get very aggressive: if I'm constantly on top of him, he doesn't have room to be smart. this is notably something he is not capable of doing effectively in this match, since I am much faster. when I'm doing this, just always angle in, it's the safe option.

I don't expect him to be doing the same thing all match: rotate between these as he rotates through his plans: my end goal is always to force him into over-thinking and over-manuevering. That situation is what forces him onto the back foot and into a position where I hold the advantage by being able to leverage my drivetrain and get him on my wedge while he's still trying to be clever.

when I have him under control, primary goal is wall pins. I can also flip him with hazards and then shove him around while he flails about self-righting, try to OOTA him after 2 minutes, etc. usual wedge shit.

if he gets under me, j-hook/back up. I'm faster and he needs to use the lifter front-hinged to flip me. don't engage in situations where my back is to hazards/OOTA zones: I'm faster, I get to choose who has their back to the wall.

GL