Robots SF - Apocalyptic Peacekeeper vs Riptide

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Wolf51-50

Robots SF - Apocalyptic Peacekeeper vs Riptide

Post by Wolf51-50 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Plow

Keep the lifter low and the clamps out of harms way. Charge right into battle on the first attack to get there before his weapon spins up. Even if it does, angle in slightly on one of the forks and smash into him. Even if I don't get under him, he will be doing no damage whatsoever by grinding at my plow. If he is able to keep up with me, continue doing so, but make them harder turns. He has -2 in control, and a bot like that could actually gyro upwards if it turns too quickly. Also throw a few fakeouts in there and wedge the other fork if he's expecting me to angle in

Now wait a minute, won't he flip me? The answer is probably not. All of Riptide's wins were against bots that were short in height, with a short body and wide wheelbase, which is easy to flip over with a weapon like that. AP is rather tall, wide enough to turn decently and it's body is actually pretty long. Add this with the fact that I have big wheels in the back. So whenever Riptide tries to flip me, I can just drive forwards or backwards to keep me upright. I'm also invertible and can self right quickly with the clamps. He's gonna have to hit me side on to actually get a good flip in. And if he can't chain flips, then he's toast.

Continue to be aggressive and angle in when given an opening. His weapon has to be slowing down hit after hit if he's unable to catch a break with me biting at his heals and something has to give in terms of driving. The exact moment that I get under him, clamp him and pick him up. Make sure that only the tips of the clamp are touching the drum if I absolutely have to clamp the drum portion. That'll just be flat surface damage. Lift him up and carry him around for 20 seconds, then drive to a corner of the arena. Release him there, and don't let him escape the corner. Get underneath him again before he starts driving away, and do it again. This time, to another corner of the arena. Pin occasionally, but don't give him any time to rest. Self right quickly if flipped and keep the plow in his face

Good luck Alex

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Robots SF - Apocalyptic Peacekeeper vs Riptide

Post by The Monsterworks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:12 pm

The Principals

RipTide: 6 speed / 4 traction / 1 torque / 10 weapon / 9 armour (+1 skids)

vs.

Apocalyptic Peacekeeper: 7 speed / 7 traction / 3 torque / 4 weapon (3/3) / 9 armour (+2 plow)

The Goods

1) Pretty happy he went with the plow. I was only gonna do 1 damage anyways, but now he’s sacrificed his ability to effectively control me. The plow has no depth and he shouldn’t even be able to pick up and hold my already surprisingly mobile spinner without it just slipping off.

2) I have the better wedge. 4-bars don’t generally press, and his is flat along the edge and hinged. I have 2WD skids and a ten-powered drum with a wide stance, so I won’t gyro much either. This puts the onus on him to angle in, which I’m sure he’ll be trying to do constantly. He’ll probably succeed a few times, but what can he really accomplish?

3) He has only a single point speed advantage, so he’s faster, but not really enough to box rush and constantly bully and smother me after impacts separate us. Even when he wedges me, he pushes with 5 speed, which is what a normal spinner has. I’m faster than that and can hook away.

4) The elephant in the room is my inability to damage his plow – at all – but that’s not really what RipTide is designed to do and not how it’s won most of its fights. It’s a flipper that’s constantly running and doesn’t need to be timed and can also do some damage, especially by chaining hits. I should be flipping him – according to the rules – about 2.5 feet each time…and we’re featherweights… and his self-righting looks handwave-level dubious. That, on its own, is legitimate match control and even OOTA potential, but then I can do 3 corner damage (equivalent to 5 flat damage) on his lightly-armoured chassis just behind his wedge, and to his clamp.

The Plan

1) Spin up and dodge the inevitable box rush. Reverse away, keeping my front pointed at him. Per physics, this also keeps my skids pressed flat against the floor.

2) He knows he has the worse wedge, so lots of angling in, baiting, etc. is coming. Don’t play that game. He has to approach offset or swing outwards to do it, so if I see him trying, don’t get into a maneuvering battle. Charge him mid-move and force him to either back off or get caught with his plow not quite at the right angle. There aren’t too many spinners out there almost as fast a brick, so use that to my advantage.

3) In general, I just wanna hit him. Whether it’s through outright aggression – I will be on the offense whenever my drum is up to speed – or by counterpunching by pivoting and hooking from a defensive position and sinking a skid or skids underneath his wedge. Whenever he’s going over or even flicked up, I want to be using my drivetrain to hound, pressure, and chain him. When I’m spun down, immediately run in reverse. Matador-bull-matador-bull.

4) The usual disclaimer about not driving like an idiot/sticking to failed strategies, self-righting, etc.

GL dude