ICEcrown Week 1: Detroit Iron vs. Screamroller

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

ICEcrown Week 1: Detroit Iron vs. Screamroller

Post by Madman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Detroit Iron - 8 speed / 6+1 traction / 4 torque / 1 weapon / 11 armour (+1 plow)

vs.

Screamroller - 4 speed / 4 traction / 1 torque / 15 weapon / 6 armour

Analysis

1) My plow has 12 armour and no hard corners. I should be able to facetank everything he dishes out from start to finish. With flails and no feeder wedges, the risk of him flipping me is nil, and his flails are too short to effectively reach over or around my plow.

2) It's 8 speed to 4 speed, and I have a one point traction bonus and extra knockback resistance because tank tracks. That means that box rushing should be possible even with that annoying center hump, and smothering him after hits should be pretty easy too.

3) I have as much torque as he has speed so, once I have him wedged, he won't really be able to get off. On top of that he can be high-centered.

Strategy

a. Fake a box rush, but turn for one of the Fatales, boop it with my plow, and repeat until orange. Obviously, if I see him closing in to take advantage, get out and get my plow facing him. Whenever it's safe and convenient, boop a Fatale, preferably with him on my plow.

b. Watch out for tricks like reversing, matadoring, spinning the drum in reverse, etc. Keeping this in mind, pressure the shit out of him. It's predictable, but it works, and it forces him to adjust to my strategy.

c. Pay attention to impact angles, so that I get knocked into open space while he gets sent into the corners.

d. Once I have him wedged, pursue. Don't let him escape. Break his traction by lifting a little bit, and feed him to the Fatales to mess up either his wheels, those little front balance castors, or his flimsy bottom plate. Don't be dumb and drive onto them myself once they reach yellow.

e. Listen, this is brick vs spinner and he knows he can't realistically get around my plow, so some gambit's coming, and it probably involves his flails, which I'm 90% sure aren't long enough to reach my tracks. If they seem to be, then either raise my plow if he's spinning them downward, or make this a mobility fight where his awkward build and gyroscopic forces will allow me to dominate him without taking head-on shots that could damage my tracks. Overall, just play this aggressive but with an awareness that he's going to try something creative and/or desperate at some point.

GL fam
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: ICEcrown Week 1: Detroit Iron vs. Screamroller

Post by attackfrog » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:53 am

So the coolest bot Laz has made in a long time is... a lifting wedge. Okay :V

In any case, you might think this would be a stomp. Poorly optimized throwback silliness vs. a big ol' armored plow. But that's where you'd be wrong! For Screamroller is not just any spinner, nor just any vertical spinner, nor just any flail spinner for that matter. It's an overhead drum-flail spinner, and that means it'll be hitting at the perfect angle to take out those fancy tracks. The armored plow will do very little to protect Detroit Iron from my attacks. And those attacks are going to be heavy: I've got 15 weapon power against a 10-armor body, so tracks are going to get shredded pretty much instantly if I'm at full speed and the rest isn't going to look so pretty either. I'm also going to reverse the flails and spin downwards for this match to make getting over the plow easier.

The tricky part may be just getting that hit in, but the arena will help me here with the anti-box rush bump in the center letting me get up to speed at the start. From there all I have to do is be cautious and keep the whirling flails pointed at Detroit Iron as it presumably approaches. I'll have to fight some gyro to turn, but my perfect control ratio should be some help with that. I'll try to position myself such that getting all the way around behind me is hard, and I'm not just going to sit in place waiting for DI either. If I do get flanked, I'll turn towards DI and hopefully bring the flails down on top of it as I do so. Once I get a good hit in, cleaning up should be easy enough.

Good luck Laz!