RoBattle Week 7 HW Heat B: Wetropolis

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

NFX

RoBattle Week 7 HW Heat B: Wetropolis

Post by NFX » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:41 am

Big wheels and regular forks, please.

I knew this setup for MiDAS would come in handy! =D More ground clearance means far less chance of submersion damage to electronics. Also I've got a perfect Speed/Traction ratio, so I should be able to control and direct my machine around the hazards and deeper-than-necessary sections relatively well.

Start in the bottom-right entrance to the arena. Plan for the target bollards is to go top-right, top-left, bottom-left in that order, then exit at the bottom-left as well. Reverse anti-clockwise around the first, so I'm pointing toward the second, then clockwise around the other two so I'm pointing at the larger gap between hazard poles after the second bollard, then toward the exit after the third. Avoid the hazard poles, obviously, along with the big red splotch in the center, and the red/yellow spot near the exit. Perfect control and excellent ground clearance along with good Speed should give me a good chance at this event.

GL!
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Hooray For Lexan

Re: RoBattle Week 7 HW Heat B: Wetropolis

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:19 pm

USING GIANT WHEELS CONFIG.

All right. These wheels give me five inches of ground clearance to the bottom of my chassis, so water damage shouldn’t be a problem as long as I stay out of the red areas. However, deeper water means more rolling resistance on my wheels and will make the motors work harder, so I generally want to spend most of my time in the shallows where I can go faster.

Use the following route. Starting from the northeast entrance, head south through the blue, circle clockwise around the East bollard, and continue clockwise around the course in the blue and green to the South bollard. Circle it counterclockwise, then go directly north to the West Bollard. Circle it counterclockwise as well. Go north to get out of the yellow zone, then head for the exit through the green and blue in a smooth curve. In other words, do THIS:

Steer well clear of the poles and don’t be an idiot. They’re several meters apart, I have plenty of traction to avoid them.

Because the only part of my bot contacting the water will be my wheels, I should be able to move through the course with minimal drag. My better traction should let me complete the 180-degree turns to reverse around the bollards a little faster than either Neuromancer or Lowrider. MiDAS technically has me beat on drivetrain; however, because I’m ditching a lot of weight by removing my wedge in this config, which MiDAS doesn’t do, I could end up having the advantage in agility.

Note that Gabe’s silly “boat” appears to be open at the bottom and still be wheel-driven. In other words the thing doesn’t actually float. He has low ground clearance still, so his chassis’s in the water creating drag, and the boat actually makes his frontal area WIDER, and because he has that wedge on the front he’ll waste a lot of energy throwing water upward over his top. In reverse, he’s pushing a rectangle through the water, which is even worse. Assuming he doesn’t get a short from having his chassis in the water or burn out something electrical fighting all that drag, he’ll be slowed way down. The same goes for Lowrider if he doesn’t raise his chassis like a sensible person.

Good Luck etc. etc.